Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pineland 12/6
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am 

Put in at the small kayak launch south of Pineland Marina. Was out on the water at 6:30AM with a negative low tide coming in around 10AM. My main goal was to find and catch some tailing reds. I dinkered around trolling the flats with a paddletail for awhile and caught 2 small trout waiting for the tide to come down some more. I ended up right in the middle of Cat Key, Little Josslyn Island, and Josslyn Island around 9AM. I found some deeper potholes and rode the tide over them fishing for trout and caught 6 more between 17-18". Around 9:30AM is where I saw my first tail and got 2 casts at him before he swam away. Couldn't get him to bite the green & white paddletail. I was a little disappointed but I kept push poling around trying to stay around the edges of the potholes. I saw another tail glimmer above the surface about 100 yards away. I got over there as quick as possible without disturbing the peace and without losing sight but I couldn't get in casting range before he got away. Another one gone. I drift casted for awhile and around 12PM I caught a 23" snook I saw exploding at the surface on the grass flat. The bite slowed down after that and I decided to try cast netting for bait from the kayak which I had tried before but never successfully. I didn't find any schools of bait but I caught 2 pinfish and a fat pilchard. Even though I didn't catch anything else that day I was super stoked that I caught those. Got back to the launch around 4PM. Overall a really fun solo day. I can't wait to go on some more redfish sightcasting outings.

On a side note, my back is killing me after pedaling around on the outback all day. Is my seat incorrectly positioned or is that just the nature of the beast?

Post subject: Re: Pineland 12/6
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am 

Sounds like a great day and you got to see some tailers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm 

Check out Chris Meyers YOUTube videos on how to cast to tailing reds. His method makes a lot of sense, but casting to tailing fish in general is frustrating for sure. If I was on the water from 0630 to 1630, my back would be sore too , and I don't own a Hobie. I know that anytime your feet are above your hip joints, it's going to affect the back.

Last edited by sailor144 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm 

Cody: I am usually somewhat stiff after a long day in my Outback as well; however, when you have a successful/fun day on the water, the stiffness is soon forgotten. As a side note, I have yet to catch a tailing red after nearly two years trying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 pm 

I’m gonna check out those Chris Meyers videos. It’s frustrating yes but I like it. I’ve never gone hunting but I kind of think of it as hunting on the water

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 pm 

ccunningham wrote:
I’m gonna check out those Chris Meyers videos. It’s frustrating yes but I like it. I’ve never gone hunting but I kind of think of it as hunting on the water

That's what I like about flats fishing, it's definitely "hunting", or stalking. Here are the videos I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/TN_9jf_8-o4

https://youtu.be/DsROWzTQuoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am 
Pro Member

You can really tear up those tailing fish at times and then there are occasions where you just have no shot. Don't be afraid to be patient and use a ladyfish chunk (just getting it a few feet away so they can smell it), or coming a few feet in front with a top water. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:37 pm 

ccunningham wrote:

Sometimes they are really finicky, but I get catch a lot of tailers out of Pineland. I usually just use a DOA jerkbait in the golden shiner color on an unweighted worm hook. When they're in the mood they absolutely crush them. When the reds are really big I have had a lot of luck using DOA baitbuster shallow runners and I pretty much run it past them along the top. Using something weedless is really the key out there though. Also as the tide comes up and there is more water above the tips of the grass you can use something with a little bit more weight.

I would imagine using any kind of cut or live bait will work well too.

Good luck.

Sean