Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pineland 3/10
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:34 pm 

Wanted to launch early due to forecasted winds, so off the beach at 0545, incoming tide slowed around 9, and only a couple of small trout to show for it. Since the weather seemed to be holding, wanted to check out a canal I have been eyeing on sat photos. This is the one that starts near the 4th cove to the south of the launch, and moves inland towards the houses, then north and eventually exits towards the west.

Entered from the south, and could not exit to at the north end, so had to backtrack. With a few snips of a trimmer, it would be passable. Canal itself has wide open sections, as well as close quarters, all of them are fairly deep.(5-8 ft.). Only saw mullet this day, but could be a good go to place once the tarpon show up. Also for snook if the water gets cold again.

Next time down there, I'll be doing some trimming at the north end.

Post subject: Re: Pineland 3/10
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 pm 

Looks like a nice quiet spot. Do you think the big one's will go in spot like that or just the Juvie's. There a few canals on Sanibel that I fish occasionally when I want to get out of the wind. Never seen a poon in there but have caught snook, trout and even a cuda. I come down in the middle of April and for the life of me I can't hook a poon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:14 am 

It did appear early there might be a reprieve from the winds Saturday. I debated whether to go to Pineland where I haven't been since early Fall. I settled on Matlacha, launching north about 8:15 am. I figured the paking might be scarce at Pineland by that time. There was a rising tide all day. Hit usual spots with little success, two small trout and one snooklet. Water was pretty much crystal clear. Off water about 1:00 pm. The next few days do not look promising, weatherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 am 

Parking wasn't too bad, I was the first, and when I returned, there was still two spots. The wind must have kept them away. Water was clear as well, nice to see. I rode the SE wind, which picked up at 1100, back to the launch, surfing most of the way. Could have used a rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 am 
Pro Member

I am surprised you couldn't access it from the North side as it used to be wide open. The smaller E vs. W canal is good for small tarpon and they should be there in the next month or so. I am surprised you have not fished that as we used to talk about that section a good bit several years ago and frequently went there first thing for the juvie tarpon. They are small, but fun. Good luck getting them to bite as some days it just won't happen.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am 

IndianOutlaw wrote:
I am surprised you couldn't access it from the North side as it used to be wide open. The smaller E vs. W canal is good for small tarpon and they should be there in the next month or so. I am surprised you have not fished that as we used to talk about that section a good bit several years ago and frequently went there first thing for the juvie tarpon. They are small, but fun. Good luck getting them to bite as some days it just won't happen.......

That smaller EW canal is pretty tight, not sure I would attempt a cast, even if I saw a roll. Below is a video of my paddling out of that canal. I apologize for the quality, as the sun filtering in caused the issue.

https://youtu.be/z6YynWh7XW4