Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:06 pm 

It's been a while since I have been able to fish Charlotte harbor, but I was finally able to make it out on Saturday. I launched at windmill village on the north fork of alligator creek and then worked my south to the the islands of the east wall through the maze of tunnels and mosquito control canals.

I started the day off spooking a large of school of reds that were sunning themselves in small pond that was less that 1' deep so for the rest of the day I was very wary whenever I saw any disturbance even if it seemed too shallow. About an hour later came across a similar looking pond that was filled with oversized reds. I was able to get the first one pictured below to hit a zmann houdini paddlerz, it measured about 35", but there were some much larger fish in that group. I was unable to get any of the other fish in that school to bite so I went to the outside of the flat where I was able to find a few trout and a couple of underslot snook, but no cobia. The wind continued to get worse so I was forced to go back into the islands where I ultimately caught 4 more reds (27" pictured below and 3 other low slot) and some more snook.

Here's just a quick map of the area if you didn't know what I was talking about. Unfortunately the launches for the area are not great and it takes about an hour to get where the fish are, but it was still a lot of fun and I would recommend it if you're looking at spending a long day to explore a new place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm 

Looks like an awesome day. Thanks for the map. I would love to explore a new area.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am 

Wow! Great report. I've wanted to get up to Gator Creek for some time now. I generally fish Pine Island Sound and Matlacha Pass. Would it be reasonable to put in at Gator Creek Marine to get that area? I haven't been able to locate any other accessible launch sites. (Update) I understand that Gator Creek Marine will not allow for kayak launches.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am 

Thanks for the post.

I'll be moving to Punta (half time) in March. I'll be picking up a fishing yak and hitting the water. So far I've been looking at launch info provided by Fishing Frank. Thanks for showing me one of your favorite spots. I do wonder if a newbie could get lost back in those canals though.

Does Windmill Village have a public kayak launch?

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

If you're looking for a public launch close to there, search for Riviera Marina on Google Maps.

Also, nice report! Saturday morning was beautiful, but quickly turned windy as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm 

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

BigJoe wrote:
If you're looking for a public launch close to there, search for Riviera Marina on Google Maps.

Also, nice report! Saturday morning was beautiful, but quickly turned windy as hell.

Joe, what do you have to do to launch at Rivera Marina? Do you have to pay? Can you get there really early? And yes the wind changed very quickly, but I always seem to do my best on really windy days for whatever reason.

Also windmill village does not have a public launch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

It's $5 to launch and there's a drop box right at the ramp. The few times I went there was well before sunrise so you shouldn't have any issues getting there early.