Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hickory Pass Big Jack
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm 

I fished Little Hickory yesterday before a quick storm moved in. I launched at the Big Hickory Grill and headed west toward the pass. The incoming tide was ripping. I noticed a lot of water commotion in front and me so I tossed a gulp shrimp and immediately grabbed onto this slab of a Jack. I was fighting both the fish and the tide. I kept trying to peddle towards the middle as the fish wanted to pull me into the docks and the tide was pushing me east. It was a fun fight. By the time I landed it I was probably close to a half a mile away from where it hit. The rest of the day was uneventful but I didn't care. Catching this guy was fun. He swallowed my hook so I didn't bother measuring him but it was for sure my biggest Jack.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 pm 

Ah, big jacks are great fun. Thanks for the report and great jack head shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 pm 

I don't know what happened to the picture. In my photobucket file the picture shows the whole fish.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm 

Ajay wrote:
I don't know what happened to the picture. In my photobucket file the picture shows the whole fish.

I see the whole fish, its almost life sized have to slide the page out to see the tail side.. big jack, they sure will bend a rod.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm 

The only time I ever got "spooled" was when I hooked a big jack in the surf up in Ormond Beach. Massive schools of menhaden were running close to the beach and the jacks were on them like mad. I castnetted a menhaden, put it on a hook, and tossed it in front of a group of jacks working the trough between the beach and the sandbar. A jack picked it up and was off to the races, straight out to sea. I had braided line on and couldn't get the line to break no matter how much I cranked down the drag. When my spool was down to nothing, the knot broke and the fish was gone, taking all my line with it. A guy who watched it all said, "What the hell was that!?!"
We used to castnet for finger mullet when the big schools were running, and everyone knew the best policy: If there are big sharks, don't worry, because they won't bother you. If there are big jacks, get out of the water. They feed in a frenzy and if one runs into your leg it could break it. Not kidding. Other than yellowfin tuna there are few fish that compare to a big jack in terms of power per pound, and that's a blunt head that can do some damage. I've seen them throw themselves up on a jetty when they've come up after mullet. Too bad they're awful tasting.