Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pineland - Happy 4th
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 am 

On the water about 6:00 and headed toward Black Key which has been productive for me recently. Other than one lady fish, didn't see much until close to 7:30 when the tarpon showed up. Hooked up on my first cast of the skitter walk and got three jumps before he bent the hooks. Could not hook another but did catch half a dozen good trout in the range of 16 to 20" or so in the same area, both on the skitter walk and a popping plug; not much action on a DOA shrimp or paddle tails. The action came to an end shortly after several dolphin came thru the area. Made my way west around "no name" and Cove Key and boated three 19" reds, all tight to the mangroves. Headed back to launch site about 11:30. Water clarity still very cloudy but improved as the tide came in.

Post subject: Re: Pineland - Happy 4th
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 pm 
Pro Member

Nice morning. I love the paddle out to the key at first light. It's great to see that area come alive , and the colors can be fantastic. Can also be a bit spooky as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:34 pm 

Yes, I've had some "spooky" boils near/under my yak. A little unnerving when it happens. Going to give it a try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:42 pm 
Pro Member

johnk wrote:
Yes, I've had some "spooky" boils near/under my yak. A little unnerving when it happens. Going to give it a try again tomorrow.

John, I reduced the "spookiness" a bit by carrying another light, along with my headlamp. This light is essentially a $25 energizer headlamp, mounted to a ram mount and placed forward on my boat, to illuminate more of the water out in front. It also reduces the reflection off the paddle blades as well. Result is much better vision for me out forward of the boat.