Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rookery Bay 2/15/2018
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am 

I launched at the Shell Island Road ramp about 7:30. I headed north toward Hendry Creek. Swirls were all around me but I only managed to hook up to 1 nice size Jack and a big nasty catfish. After exploring the mouth of Hendry for a while I headed south and fished the east side mangroves. I caught a snook and another nice Jack. I took out some frozen shrimp and caught two keeper sheepshead for dinner. All in all a pretty decent day. Weather and wind were fine but the incoming tide brought in some turbid water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 am 
Pro Member

Henderson creek is a really nice area and loaded with nice bars. You can fish all the way North to those powerlines, but there is Tons of oyster and that area gets super skinny so be careful. I have loaded up on rat reds in there before, but have not seen many big ones... I ran up on a tarpon laying in there one time that seemed to be about 20' long when it took off almost underneath me........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 am 

Thanks Outlaw. I probably didn't go in as far as I should have. It was getting really shallow. I'll have to go deeper the next time. I didn't notice the power lines. I like the Rookery Bay area in general. Tons of structure.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:33 am 

Ajay wrote:
Thanks Outlaw. I probably didn't go in as far as I should have. It was getting really shallow. I'll have to go deeper the next time. I didn't notice the power lines. I like the Rookery Bay area in general. Tons of structure.

Gonna explore Rookery again. Followed the canoe trail the first time... lots of smalls. Is Stopper Creek worth it?