Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Choko 6-23
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 am 
Pro Member

My trip to Chokoloskee Is. wasn't very productive. Weather cooperated early, but conditions down there are so different from PI sound: Swift current, numerous oyster bars, that make setting up and fishing certain points and areas difficult. No fish to report, although my friends caught snook, snapper, and trout. Definitely will be going back. The area is beautiful.

Post subject: Re: Choko 6-23
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 am 

Them Oysters do suck... and for sure there is more tidal current than I am used to as well in my home territory B-Bay where tide moves a 12 to 18inches in about 5 hours, in Choko the oysters are exposed, as can be seen in your photos and when the tide started moving in they were basically covered in an hour. Covered but not gone they are still there so you have to navigate carefully or you'll get hung up pinned by the current.

FishHead and I started out a bit confused about where to launch, sitting at the gate to OR before sunrise... no sign of anyone else. Went to the ramp still no-one eventually we ran into Vivian and she told us you and Pete had gone to the beach launch... we circled back to the private ramp with Vivian and launched. Proceeded to paddle to the S. Oyster bars..

I started as usual with top-water, Bone Spook Jr., but no takers... after a while and seeing Fh and Vivian catch Snooklets around me, I switched to paddle tail. Started with 3/16 oz. jighead which proved to be to heavy and was catching weeds and oysters... changed to an 1/8 oz. Mission Fishing weedless JigHead with pearl white paddle tail, Z-man scented PaddlerZ, and quickly hooked up on a couple Trouts.
Once the tidal flow picked up and everyone headed to the secret spot I picked up a small snapper I misidentified as a Mangrove snapper but was quickly corrected by Chef Pete that it was actually a Gray Snapper because I was not near a Mangrove bush. Later I switched over to a PinFish colored paddletail (also Z-man) which is what I eventually caught a Snooklet.

It turned out to be a nice morning on the water, was great to see you and the others, good to catch fish and slime the Native, also good that we got off the water early, cause the skies darkened as predicted by Nooon..... see ya next time, we'll have to do it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 am 
Pro Member

Nice to see you as well.

Last edited by sailor144 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:05 pm 

When is that BlueWay gathering, tournament, this year ?

Recorded yesterday, watched today, one of them TV shows ""Facing Waves" "Paddling the Great Calusa Blueway" about some of the goodness on your side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 am 
Pro Member

krash wrote:
When is that BlueWay gathering, tournament, this year ?

Recorded yesterday, watched today, one of them TV shows ""Facing Waves" "Paddling the Great Calusa Blueway" about some of the goodness on your side.

Tournament is on Dec. 8th this year.