Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm 

On water at 6:00 am heading north from GCK along with Mike from Punta Gorda. Slight chop to the water with winds expected to be 10 - 15 mph. Hit points of first two islands on east side of channel with no strikes. Mike headed up to the oyster bars while I headed west of the oyster bars where two days earlier I had caught several trout and lady fish and lost a Mirrodine lure to what appeared to be a reasonably large trout. I retied all leaders the next day as a result. Top water was not in play this day due to the choppy water so I stayed with my standard DOA/CAL pearl paddle tail on an 1/8 oz. red jig head with 10 lb. braid and 25 lb. flourocarbon leader. Caught several trout and lady fish with a couple of the trout over 15". It was now about 7:45 am. I thought I had another trout when I set the hook. Line peeled off for maybe 40 yards and then she settled down for the fight. Each time I gained a few yards, she would peel off anther 15 yards or so and would not come up off the bottom. After the 4th or 5th such run, I thought I could bring her around. I probably applied too much pressure as my leader gave way. It was a clean break with no evident fray. As she swam away I could swear I saw the slight flip of a tail on the waters surface, as if to say "I won this one!"

Finished up the morning working the points and mangroves just past flat back island with a couple more smallish trout and a few lady fish. Mike was able to pull a small snook out of the mangroves. Back to launch site by 12:15 pm and over to Miceli's for a couple of beers, while lamenting the catch that could have been.

Last edited by johnk on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm 

Sounds like a big, big red to me! When I get one like that, I pull up the stake and let her drag me till she gives up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:37 am 

She did give me some ride. I turned my rudder in her direction and let her go. On the run, there was no stopping her. I really should have given her more time and not tried to pressure her so much. Could'a been a bull red, black drum, shark, sword fish, large ray, etc. I'll never know now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm 
Pro Member

That's what I tend to do John, in the excitement of the moment, you want to see what you hooked, and you pressure it a bit too much. I've done that to about 1/2 doz. or so fish, and it never works out. It's amazing what a few extra minutes will do to tire the fish.