Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Matlacha 12/6
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 pm 

Flew in this morning and headed out to fish Matlacha. As soon as we launched we ran into some large fish feeding. I thought they were dolphin but they definitely weren't. My buddy hooked on and immediately broke off. I would say they were 4-6 feet long. We headed north to Indian Fields. I managed 2 reds and 3 snook on the way to the fields. The biggest red was 20" range the snook was 24". The fields showed no life once we got there so went to the outer islands where my buddy caught a nice 24" red. That was it for the islands so headed back to where we saw the big fish. I immediately had one hit but I missed it. Then maybe 15 minutes later hooked into a big fish. It ran 50 yards of line and did some head shakes breaking the surface but not jumping then came unplugged. It was at least 4 feet long. We then hammered that area for the next 2 hours with a few chases and swirls and I have another immediate break off on a hit. I can not figure out what we were playing with. I would guess there were 20 of these fish in the area and they were all big. Don't think cobia would run in such a large group. Sharks? really good day but wish I knew what I was playing with. While trying to catch these fish we did manage 10-15 trout from 10"-16" so that was a good sign.

Post subject: Re: Matlacha 12/6
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:52 pm 

Wow, what a great day kayak fishing. Thanks for the report.

I have been restricted from kayak fishing so am waiting for the snook to head further into the Cape Coral
saltwater canals. The next cold front may drive more of them in. There are large schools of large mullet, good for smoking And, I found a large school of 6" mullet, perfect size for snook, jacks etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:22 am 

Interesting report. Sounds like a really great day in Matlacha Pass! Wonder what they could have been?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:15 am 

Sounds like you ran into a school of Matlacha Jacks! Is that possible? There have been some big ones around.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:11 pm 
Pro Member

Last time out in PI Sound, hooked up with 2 black tips, around 5', and they reacted just the way you mentioned, but they typically are loners, not in groups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:39 pm 

Definitely not jacks. They were way too long. I also kinda though black tips but it would have been a school which isn't normal. I am thinking more and more cobia but really big cobia. Not sure why the line would have been cut though.