Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chester Roberts park
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 pm 

I put in yesterday am at a little park on the north side of Peace River named Chester Roberts Park. It looked like a good place looking on Google maps. I put in at 0730. I tried topwater 1st, with only 1 snook hit. I switched to a suspending twitch bait, with no success. I finally switched to an 1/8 oz jig with white paddletail. Bingo! I found 2 trout, 17 inches. I probably could have caught more, but the wind was really bad and kept blowing me right over the fish (anchor wouldn`t hold). I started to troll/cast the jig along the pier ends with only a few light hits. That's when I noticed the birds. I quickly paddled in that direction. In the next 45 minutes, I caught 8 jacks, 20-26 inches! What a blast! I was back to launch at 1130.

water

Post subject: Re: Chester Roberts park
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:28 am 

Sounds like fun. You can almost never go wrong with a white paddle tail on a jig head.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 am 

Mostly I fish topwater or red jig head with white paddle tail. I usually do better with topwater when conditions are right but not right now. Catching everything on jig but only managed one 20 inch red on TP on the last few trips. Has anybody else noticed that recently?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm 

Gotta love the jacks especially when you can stay on them for a while. My last trip was all Zman but to be honest I didn't throw topwater as much as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:00 pm 

Personally, I will throw topwater as much as I think the conditions are right or even marginal. The excitement of a topwater follow and hit is unmatchable! I will then usually go to soft plastics on a jig head. I prefer the z-man plastics (usually white) on a Mission Fishin 1/8 or 1/16 oz weedless jig head for most of the skinny water I usually fish. I occasionally go to a 3/16 or 1/4 oz jig head when waters are deep and/or windy conditions. Any of these baits will catch jacks, reds, trout, the occasional tarpon and snook.

Don: I agree that topwater has recently been only moderately productive; however, I still prefer topwater when conditions dictate. You are 100% correct in that a white paddle tail on a red jig head is the "go to" bait this time of year. Although some are recommending darker colored plastics, I have recently been doing well on white.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:49 pm 

We have had so much wind lately, I switched to fishing some creeks off the Myakka. See freshwater section. I learned this trick in Pensacola area. When you can't fish open water areas, the creeks are very protected. I'm not giving up where on the Myakka, but I am sure there are lots of areas that you can duplicate great bassin. Good luck y'all!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 pm 

Yes, AnglerD, the wind is starting to grate on me a bit.

But, the bass are hitting my lures when I do get out here in the Cape.