Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pineland - 12/26/19
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:49 am 

Launched just after the low tide about 9:15 am headed toward Cat Key. Had to walk the yak out quite a bit before I could float it. Again, approaching Cat Key, had to walk it for quite a distance also. The low was a negative .06 with much grass showing thru the surface. Water was choppy as well with winds forecast to be 8 - 10, however, I think the winds well exceeded the 10. Nearing Cat Key saw a tail and stuck my push pole. First cast was slightly off the mark but the second was spot on, about 3 feet past the tail. Brought my bait in and dropped it. She turned, picked it up and started to take off when I pulled my bait out of her mouth. That was the high point of the day. I did get three trout and one pretty large lizard fish. The largest of the trout was 19". Although it was a little tough going yesterday, it's always good to be out on the water.

Last edited by johnk on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pineland - 12/26/19
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:05 am 

So John, I went out earlier than you on Jug Creek to look for tails but to no avail. I hit a few of my spots on my way to my favorite tailing flats in Burgess Bay and picked up a nice trout and a 23 inch red along the way. Got to my favorite flats and the water was perfect but saw no tails. The were some big fish scurrying away from me kicking up mud but i couldn’t tell if they were just big mullet or reds. It was too shallow to fish them with other than topwater but no takers. I am still in a major drought with topwater, catching almost everything on white paddle tail. Fished my favorite pothole at low tide which I could barely get into without walking. Managed a nice trout, snook and 19 inch red, and had several other big takers that got off before I could identify them. Fished the incoming along Jug and picked up 2 more snook, about 10 trout and almost a pelican that I had to literally fight off to keep him from trying to grab the catfish I was landing! I was so flustered in the heat of the battle, I put my rod down outside my yak! Luckily I was in shallow water and was able to retrieve it but I had to leave my trout spot to get away from the hungry pelican!

Post subject: Re: Pineland - 12/26/19
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 am 

Hi Don: Yes, luckily you were able to retrieve your rod. I was not so lucky several months ago when, in a hurry to get back into the water, on my backcast, I hooked an outfit in my rear rod holder and threw it about five yards out. So long $300 outfit! It was straight off to Cape Tool. In the meantime, I haven't been getting much action on topwater either and have been throwing primarily white paddle tails as well. Most recently, I have been throwing some of my older DOA paddle tails with either a chartreuse, pink or curly tail. I am a firm believer in Z-man but it's either use them or throw them away!