Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:32 pm 

Got out today around 2 and Pine Island Commercial. Was hoping to meet up with John but he went south and I really wanted to go north so it will have to be another day. I went around Demere and started hitting the mangroves and really nailed them in all the cuts. Caught 12 reds ranging from 21"-33"(5 were over 25"). All on the Zman in white. Also got 4 trout all around 17" and 1 snook. Grass on top made fishing tough but they were eating if you could keep the lure clean. Also got a nice bath from some manatees on my way back to the launch. They didn't flip me but the splash from the tails soaked me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:53 am 

Dave: I was hoping to hook-up but will have to wait another day. I was on the water just after 12:00 on the rising tide. There was a lot of grass on the surface heading south as well. I primarily worked the mangroves with a white z-man paddle tail but didn't drum up a bite initially. Did get one 15/16" red trolling, first ever red while trolling. Shortly afterwards found a small school of slightly larger reds in the vicinity of an oyster bar where I got four more. Had a couple other good strikes but no hook-ups the rest of the day. Off the water about 4:00 pm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:07 pm 

All on white paddle tail? Anybody getting any interest on topwater yet?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:09 pm 

Topwater was not an option where I was with the floating grass . Actually put on a frog for a little just to see if I could get any looks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 am 

Don: With the winds and tides having been what they have been the last few weeks, I haven't been throwing much topwater. When I do get out, the water has been somewhat choppy with a lot of floating grass and it has been later in the day. My general experience is that topwater is not nearly as productive with cooler water temperatures as the fish I target, snook, reds and trout, are somewhat more lethargic and don't want to have to chase a meal. I could be wrong, but that's been my experience, for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm 

Sounds like you are really finding them. I won't be able to get out for awhile since I just broke my ankle in 2 spots. Any good handicap access spots you can think of? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:11 pm 

Sorry to hear that. I can't think of any handicap accessible spots. Sorry