Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bass in charlotte county
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:42 pm 

The last 2 times out have been to areas of the Myakka. Each time out, I fished in the am. I was home by 100 pm. The 1st outing, last Sunday, I ended up with. 10 bass and 2 huge brim. All the fish were caught on beetle spins and weightless plastic worms in red. The 2nd outing on Tuesday, I got 5 bass and 1 huge bowfin (24 inches). The bass in this spot are huge. Of the 15, bass, all but 4 were 14-18 inches. I also had 2 bass that were over 10 lbs on, but couldn't get them in the yak. I also broke off 10 lb braid x2 this week. I need thicker line! Lol! I wish y'all a lot of luck

To

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:15 pm 

I am still fishing green fleck stick worms here in backyard canal and getting bass in am and pm.

They have also been taking shallow jerk plugs in a nearby lake.

I used to be able to get big sunfish/ bluegill also but none now. I hope they are still around in late Spring early summer when they are probably bedding. They are fun on the beetle spin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:42 pm 

I was able to get out this am at 0800 am again. They were a bit slow to start with and the first 3 were only 12-13inchers. The other 7 were again 14-18 inches. I had a monster 24/25 incher at the yak but it made a quick dart under the yak and broke off. It was a fat pig too!!. Im going to up my braid to 15lb. The wind again was a factor and I missed a lot of bites. I ran out of my curly tail worms and switched to lizard. That is what I caught all the big ones on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm 

I had very limited time today but hit a few favorite bass spots from shore in NW Cape late in the afternoon.

Not even a hit or follow on my shallow running plug. Not sure if the moon phase or the chill last night put the bass off their recent bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:53 pm 

I have been fishing a lot the last couple weeks. I have to return to work on Sunday, so am getting as much in as possible. Lol! The bass fishing has been fantastic. I decided to give my Myakka river spot a rest, although I did get out there last Saturday. I managed only 4 bass/1 gar in the 1st 4 hours, but ended up getting 13 bass/1 gar in the final 2 hours! I have started fishing 9-mile canal in North Port/Port Charlotte. Last Monday, I got 17, Tuesday-11, Wednesday-17. I tried a new section on Thursday. I probably won't go back. There is a boat launch on that section, so had to contend with a lot of wake in a very small canal. I ended up with 3 bass and 1 of the biggest brim I've ever caught. Sunday evening got out for only 1.5 hours and caught 3 bass. I had to take a certification test yesterday in Sarasota, but went to Venice jetty and got 2 Spanish Mackeral after I was done. This am, I went to 9-mile canal again (more east than last week). I got my Durango stuck. It was my son's day off, so I just went fishing anyway, and left it there until he called. I caught 18 bass with 7 bigger than 16 inches! I am looking forward to getting back to work, but boy has this last couple weeks been fun! I hope yall are getting out and catching some!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 am 

davidm

thanks for all the news from up north a bit.
Yes, the Google map of North Port looks like you have lots of bass canals to fish'

I have been fishing here in NW Cape canals whenever I can get more than 15 minutes between chores.
Pretty steady bass bite early morning and late afternoon. Not worth the effort mid day.

I have seen the first big blue tilapia guarding a bed and that activity will heat up during April and May. The big ones are fun on light tackle but hard to get to bite.

Also saw a huge grass carp that would test a medium weight rod and the first Florida Gar of the year.
The gar are easy to catch during the rainy season when they hang out at the discharge end of any storm drain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:05 pm 

I went to a new section of 9-mile canal this am. I know what you mean about tilapia. They are all over in that canal system. I only ended with 6 bass. I had my biggest bass in 9-mile on, but my bail failed to flip and too much slack given. Bye-bye bass. The wind made fishing weightless worms a little tricky today. Every time I'd make a good cast, the wind was making a loop of the line. I just got online to check out fishing for tilapia. Some of these fish look to be 20 plus inches long! They would really be fun to catch. I didn't know there were grass carp in this canal either, but saw a huge one spook today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:16 pm 

The grass carp are sterilized so they cannot reproduce and are placed in certain waters to try to control an excess of vegetation. That is why they are illegal to harvest. I have hooked and lost a few. Fun.
They have a following and the fly fishers have some green veggie patterns that they throw at them.

I tried to catch the big blue tilapia for years in the Cape by dragging a small jig across their beds in the spring without success. Finally caught a few in a shallow golf course pond in September on a small beetle spin lure just at dusk when the golfers were heading for the clubhouse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:29 pm 

I have caught a few of them on beetlespins fishing for bass, but never targeted them. The ones I have caught were 16 or so inches long and fought very well. I went fishing this am for the last time before going back to work tomorrow. I fished from 8:15 to 1:30, and ended up with 20 bass, including 1 that was 21 inches and approximately 6 lbs, for the day. Those fish are really going to miss me! Lol!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm 

Were you fishing the Myakka or the North Port Canals this morning?

I hope your return to work allows to work safely.