Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lakes Park 5/7/17
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm 

Launched ultra late with my wife on the Jackson Tuna at about noon and headed out to an unfamiliar freshwater lake with the intension of big snook and bass. We headed in with a 15mph wind but with the amount of islands that cover the lake isnt wasnt so bad. We used the recommended Rattletrap and I soon hooked up with this snook which broke and straightened treble hooks
About an hour later hooked up with an equal or greater snook which unhooked clean. They seemed to fight deep and circle the kayak for dark structure so pulling the anchor in the wind was a decision of should I or should I drift freely to run closer to the islands. They don't seem to have any real structure other than occational overturned pines so they head straight to the kayak for its shadow. We headed up the residential canal with only a few bass to report. Bite was off for the remainder of the day. All in all I'm hooked. Big Snook or nothing and I'm fine with that. Just like Muskie fishing. Low expectations and high hopes

Post subject: Re: Lakes Park 5/7/17
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 am 
Pro Member

Outstanding fish!! Especially that late of a start. Got to get back there again. Some of those islands have a lot of overhangs, so fighting close is tough.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:40 am 
Lifer

Great catch, Dan! You mentioned in another post, you didn't think they fight as hard as in saltwater? Just casting around the island shorelines and points with the rattletrap is how you find them. Seems I never caught a snook without tidal movement.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

boblovesfishing wrote:
Great catch, Dan! You mentioned in another post, you didn't think they fight as hard as in saltwater? Just casting around the island shorelines and points with the rattletrap is how you find them. Seems I never caught a snook without tidal movement.

Josh Harvel made that comment but I beg to differ. I was a different fight, only a couple head shakes but mostly fought deep. Felt more like a red.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm 

Nice fish! Thats awesome, I may have to make a kayak trip to lakes park in the future. Too bad you cant go at night.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 pm 

Jonathan D wrote:
Nice fish! Thats awesome, I may have to make a kayak trip to lakes park in the future. Too bad you cant go at night.

Went back for the second time Friday and hooked into an equal sized and lost by lost pressure grabbing the net in the same spot. Also Causticfate and I can caught a few bass along with two fat Talapia
Second trip was less successful but still worth exploring.