Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dog Beach
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 am 

With the "cold" front coming through tomorrow, had the itch to get out and catch something on my day off. No time for a yak trip, I parked at the launch across from dog beach, leaned against my car, and chucked a gold spoon for about 15 mins. Ended up with this critter. Followed it pretty shallow, fin was showing right before he pounced on it.

Post subject: Re: Dog Beach
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 am 
Pro Member

Nice!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm 

I have been bank/shoreline myself. Mostly on Pine Island. Not much happening during the days of big full moon.

This morning was mostly overcast and I hooked several baby tarpon to 36" or so and several snook that were smallish.

A really fine morning.

I may try it tomorrow morning depending if there is any lightning. I can handle the rain showers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 am 

Dick K wrote:
I have been bank/shoreline myself. Mostly on Pine Island. Not much happening during the days of big full moon.

This morning was mostly overcast and I hooked several baby tarpon to 36" or so and several snook that were smallish.
A really fine morning.
I may try it tomorrow morning depending if there is any lightning. I can handle the rain showers

That sounds like a great morning, I'm sure those baby tarpon are a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:41 pm 
Pro Member

Dick K wrote:

A really fine morning.

I'm curious as to where you bank/shore fish on Pine Island. Not many places you can do that. Only one I know of is Tropical Pte. Park. , all the other areas are too muddy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm 

OK-OK - I lived on Pine Island for 10 years before moving to NW Cape 1 1/2 years ago. I would have preferred to stay on the Island but there were some reasons?

You are correct. There are very few places to bank fish on Pine Island. Tropical Point park is one of the better places to wade on firm sand both north and south from the picnic tables.

I am lucky to have gotten to know a few property owner friends that allow be to fish in their backyard canal. And, I am excited for the colder weather as that brings the snook and big jacks into many of the Island canals.

St James City and Flamingo Bay canals are great for winter snook. Cherry Estates canals are also very good if you can get to know one of those home owners. Like any where else, you need to do some homework.