Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold water wet wading
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 pm 

Anyone have any insight as to what are generally considered tolerable water temperatures and air temperatures for wet wading down here in SWFL?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:53 pm 

Probably best to wear waders for the next couple of months. Hypothermia can come on quickly with this wind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:02 pm 

I suspect its a personal opinion, MPO is if its less than 70 outside I try not to even go out...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm 

Drove over to Pine Island from the Cape this morning. Waded the edges of some brackish water with wading shoes that come up just over the ankles. These foam rubber shoes made by Soft Science allow the water to flow through but keep all debris except sand out of your wading socks. No waders only jeans to cut the wind. I can wade up to my knees with this outfit. Hooked one large snook on a small Rapala plug. Home for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 am 

Dick: Thank you for your information. With the winds as they have been, I have been thinking that I can do some wading rather than taking my yak out. I did a little wading up to my waist several months ago off NW Cape and managed a nice red as well as some trout. The mud made wading a little difficult there; however, I was wearing Crocs. I have since purchased some inexpensive water shoes. If you don't mind me asking, where off Pine Island do you wade where it is not too muddy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 pm 

johnk

send me a pm with your email address and phone, then we can talk about Pine Island

Pine Island is tough place to find shoreline access. Anyone who knows residents with waterfront there is ahead of the game. I lived there for ten years but did not have waterfront so was handicapped also. But a kayak can get you to many miles of oyster bars and mangrove walls

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 pm 

Deleted.

Last edited by johnk on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 pm 

johnk...ok, I will call you soon to discuss possible wading on Pine Island

I went over mid-morning today.

Started at a friends home. He is down nearly at the far south end of St James city. Nice canal in his back yard but I have never hooked a snook there yet. I cast to the docks across the canal where they should be but, the docks are deep and the water cannot warm from the sun. I would like to put my kayak in here but my friends back seawall and dock is not set up for a comfortable launch. I used to have a boat ladder that would work.

I have hooked snook about a block away several years ago at a different friends property. That place I could cast right to the base of a concrete seawall that got heated by the morning sun. And that is where the snook were in the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 am 

It appears I did not properly submit my pm. I have resent.