Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 pm 

I am trying to learn more about fishing the north spreader canal all the way from Tropicana up to and beyond the North edge of Cape Coral. Main access road is Old Burnt Store Road.

I will continue to make several trips per week depending on the tide. It is only 5 miles from my house. I have run into a nice school of jacks on the later part of an incoming tide. I also met a bank fisherman who was catching catfish and snapper from a tributary canal.

And, met another fisherman today who says he has seen tarpon rolling. So, that is a good start.

But, I am casting plugs in close to the mangrove shorelines for snook. Not a sign of a snook yet but they must be there somewhere. Many boat docks scattered about so the snook could be under any of those.

I plan to start kayaking the trib canals soon if I can locate some more fish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 am 

Hi Dick: I have put in a couple of times over at Tropicana and have also fished a few times from the bank there. Tropicana in only about 5 miles from the house so it is a convenient place when the winds are blowing and I want to get out of the house. I did catch a couple of snooklet in the spreader under the mangroves last year but mostly lady fish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 pm 

Johnk and all
I went spreader this morning, still exploring. No activity at all except for a few mullet jumping. But, I am quite sure that the low slack tide did not help. I want to hit it from now on well into an incoming tide.
That is the tide stage where I have seen the schools of jacks North of Tropicana near Jacaranda.

I have not found tide tables for that canal yet. Perhaps using the tide at the Matlacha bridge and adding ? minutes. Anyone have a clue?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:44 pm 

Stopped along Old Burnt Store Rd from 30th St. to 33th St. Pretty near high tide. Casting topwater plugs. No fish. No mullet. Nice overcast morning. Looks like there are better places I can spend my available fishing time.