Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:07 pm 

I just fractured 2 bones in my ankle and can't use my kayak for a while. I'm also going to be on crutches. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to go freshwater fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 pm 

anglerdave

it has been a month since you posted about broken ankle bones. Hope you are healing.

I have found many spots along the NW Cape canals that might be doable for you.

Many lots with old seawalls that never got a house built. These lots are generally flat sand but grass could be a tripping hazard on some of them. Some of these have docks but the dock surface is generally about 3 or 4 steps down.

You can find these spots on Google Maps by enlarging and choosing the satellite view.

Right now senko style rubber/ plastic worms will get taken if worked slowly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:32 pm 

Thank you! Sorry I didnt reply. My son ended up taking me to El Jobean pier an Port Charlotte pier a few times and I started to fish the north Port Charlotte canals and Kings Highway retention ponds as soon as Dr okayed me to drive. Lol! The last week of February, he took me back to the Venice jetties, the scene of the accident. We got skunked! I have always wanted to fish the cape, but have never done it. The neighbors dont call the cops when you are fishing empty lots? I have always worried about that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 pm 

David
Yes, I have been fishing the Cape Coral canals since we moved to this area in 2007.
Never gave it a second thought as long as I fished from empty lots that were not too close to homes.
But now the local news says the police are warning that fishing from any privately owned lot is trespassing. So, I am getting more concerned and, I would consider giving up all bank fishing if there were more kayak launches in the Cape. But, there are very few of those if any.

You are probably better off spending your bass and snook fishing time in Charlotte County.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am 

Sorry to hear that! It always nice to have some places you can go to fish from shore when you only have 30-60 minutes to fish. I often times fish going to and from errands for my wife. She doesnt even know I go sometimes! Lol!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 pm 

On second thought, I will keep on bank fishing here in the cape. Just stay away from occupied homes as much as I can. Worse that can happen is the police will ask me to leave.

Hooked a nice bass this morning but it swam into the base of the cat tails and wriggled off. Lost my hook and plastic worm in the process. It will get warmer as the week goes on and that is when I expect them to start hitting spinner baits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:23 pm 

After you said youve been doing it for years, I put my kayak in from a vacant lot this am in N,orth Port. I did quite well (see freshwater section). There are probably 100s of miles of canals in North Port/Port Charlotte that were never built on at all. I probably only fished in front of 10-12 houses all morning. Its a far cry from when I fish snook in Punta Gorda Isles! Hope you have continued luck!