Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Test Driving 5 Kayaks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:06 pm 

I went to Estero Outfitters today to test out kayaks for my next purchase. Here are the results of my test drives.

1: Native Slayer Propel LT. 12ft/63LBs
This is the one I've been eyeing up the most. Unfortunately, the performance was the worst of the 5 I tested. The propel drive did not seem as smooth as I thought it would be, but the worst part was the turning radius and rudder response. I had to put in reverse twice to turn it around in the Estero River which was probably 50 yards wide.

2. Native Slayer Propel 10. 10FT/58LBs
This felt better by a large margin. The rudder responded much better and the turning radius was much tighter. I had no problem making the turn. This kayak was really set up nicely for fishing. More mounting rails and rod holders than any other.

3. Hobie Revolution. 11FT/55LBs
This was my first time in a Hobie and using the Mirage drive. It was unbelievably better than the propel drive. The rudder response was so much better than the previous two. The turning radius was half of what the Propel 10 was and it was fast and quiet in the water. My only negative was that the cockpit felt confined and it wasn't set up very well for gear. No gear tracks. Also I made a quick turn at a higher speed and the stability was a little off .

4. Hobie Sport. 10FT/ 55LBs
This kayak was too small for me. I could never get my legs extended properly. It was wider than the Revolution and more stable. It also turned on a dime.

5. Hobie Outback. 12Ft/73LBs
This Kayak had a lot of indentations and slots to allow you to get creative with fishing gear but no tracks. The cockpit was wide and it felt the most comfortable of all the Hobies. The rudder was very responsive but because of the extra length, the turning radius was a little more than the revolution but better than both Slayer Propels. It weighs about the same as my Eagle Talon so I had them put it on a cart and I took it to my SUV and loaded as I would my ET. The weight was no problem.

The price of these kayaks were within $200-$300 of each other. Could be more depending if you bought a 2017 model or a 2018 model.

My decision>>>>> The 2018 Hobie Outback in Lime Green. I pick it up tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm 
Pro Member

Congrats, I am still waiting on my wife to allow me to get another kayak. I will be getting an Outback when I get the green light. The Hobie's are just so much better than anything else out there to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am 

That’s great you got to test them all out. I heard the mirage drive really can’t be beat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 am 

Outbacks are great, but if you liked the Revo11's speed, you should've tried the 13! Adds a little more deck space, still faster than an OB and a bit lighter...

Congratulations on your 2018 Outback! Let us know how you like the reverse?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:52 am 

I have been driving the 2015 Outback for close to two years now and love it. I was somewhat disappointed with the turning radius but recently upgraded to the larger optional rudder for about $35.00. What a difference. I'm sure you will be happy with Outback.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm 

Ajay. I have 2016 Hobie Outback, only used it about eight times. Works great for me, I have a trolling motor on my kayak and put a rectangular gear box inplace of the round hatch, the gear hatch holds three Plano 5-20 plastic boxes with room on top for plastic baits, I found the round hatch hard for me to use, if any one wants them they are free. Will be in FMBeach Jan. 12th to Jan. 22nd. Take care—-Frank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 am 

Frank
Where did you get the rectangular gearbox that holds 3 Plano boxes? Did you install it yourself?
AJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 pm 

Ajay. Go to ACK Austin Kayak, go kayaks accessory look at hatches, you will seee all you need hatch lid, gasket, drop in gear box, about $135 for all three, ACK has free shipping now. Very easy to do, great video on youtube, I did it myself very easy to do, you would think Hobie would make that standard on the Outback kayak, round hatch does not hold much gear for me, Plano 5-20 plastic boxes about $2.88 at Walmart. I put a plastic zip tie on the top of each Plano box for easy acsess, work great for me, I am working on my cart wheel Jig for my Hobie Outback, will try to send a picture of the Jig. Take care————-Frank