Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 pm 

Just used my Big Rig which has been stored in a garage on a trailer with 2 - 2/4 bunks. The front of the yak had flat spotted and I turned it upside down and hope that it will pop back. It has been stored in the garage but still hot in garage. Also I did store it without the tie downs. What is the best way to store and transfer.
It is a pain to derig and turn it upside down.
I have seen trailers rigged with PVC pipe. Is that a good option?
Ideas
Thanks in Advance
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

For that hull shape, I would make a 2x4 frame to fasten a sheet of plywood down as a platform for the boat. For a boat that is 13' long, probably needs at least 9- 10' of support. and a surface as flat as possible. Put some indoor/outdoor carpet down to make it easier to slide on and off, and to keep from scratching the hull bottom. The PVC pipe option is only good for hull shapes that will be supported that way, like the Hobie PA's. I had a Jackson Kilroy, and supported it flat on a mobile cart when not in use, covered outside, and never had any issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:29 pm 

I store my big rig flat on the garage floor with no problems. But I do get indents from topping it on the 4 runner. After washing off I prop the kayak on its side against the suv on the side with the most sun for a few hours. That always take care of them until next time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 pm 

Jonathan D wrote:
I store my big rig flat on the garage floor with no problems. But I do get indents from topping it on the 4 runner. After washing off I prop the kayak on its side against the suv on the side with the most sun for a few hours. That always take care of them until next time.

Wish we got a bigger garage. Ours is just right for my truck and wife's Civic. We got a lot of space in the ceiling though so I might make a good rack for the kayaks there right after we finished installing the 1-pc hard tonneau cover and new shocks on my truck.