Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anchor Trolley Help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:03 am 

Bought a Universal Hobie Anchor Trolley kit. When looking to mount my pulley on the stern, I can only reach 3 feet from the stern thru my back hatch to secure the nuts. I understand I could get some well nuts, but I would prefer to do nut/bolt with washer. Do you guys think mounting the pulley 3 feet from the stern is too far? Should I look into getting well nuts?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Anchor Trolley Help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:32 am 
Lifer

Scancel,
I used well nuts on my Perception, and they have worked fine. They've held while using my drift anchor on a very windy and choppy day, was watching closely as it looked pretty stressed there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:40 am 

Bob,
thanks for your reply...good to know! I have only used an anchor trolley a few times. Do you think if I choose to not use the well nuts and mount it 3 ft from the stern via nut/screw it would be functional? Its looking like well nuts is the way to go...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 am 

I might go for an expanding rivet. It spreads the load out better, and has a smaller hole. Either that, or put a small 4" access hatch in the area to reach bolt/nut installation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:08 am 

sailor144 wrote:
I might go for an expanding rivet. It spreads the load out better, and has a smaller hole. Either that, or put a small 4" access hatch in the area to reach bolt/nut installation.

Good ideas, thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 pm 

I have accessed you tube and found a variety of videos addressing the trolley instillation. Some were from the suppliers and some from folks like us. Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:52 am 

I personally wouldn't mount it 3 feet from end. Reason: When you have it in use, you want that thing all the way to the back to get the direction you need at times. With 3 feet from end, you would only get a portion of the direction you would get if it was all the way at the end. My buddy had that problem and we used well nuts and they've worked fine so far for him. I also like the install a 4 inch hatch to access that area and then have a hatch for use as well. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:07 pm 

BlairB007 wrote:
I personally wouldn't mount it 3 feet from end. Reason: When you have it in use, you want that thing all the way to the back to get the direction you need at times. With 3 feet from end, you would only get a portion of the direction you would get if it was all the way at the end. My buddy had that problem and we used well nuts and they've worked fine so far for him. I also like the install a 4 inch hatch to access that area and then have a hatch for use as well. :)

I must admit, before I went out Friday, I mounted it prob the way I shouldn't with nut/bolt 3 feet from the end lol. I see what you were saying as far as sometimes not getting the direction I want, but it worked well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:17 am 

on bright side, well nuts work great to fill holes with too. so it's never too late to change your mind. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 pm 

BlairB007 wrote:
on bright side, well nuts work great to fill holes with too. so it's never too late to change your mind. :)

Lol, which will prob happen in less than a month.