Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:18 am 

I am new to Kayak fishing. Yesterday I installed an anchor trolley. I have no anchor at this time. I plan to make a pole anchor but I am not sure what type of anchor I should use for deeper water. Any suggestions?

I live in Pennsylvania and am traveling to the Keys for my first real fishing trip. Does anyone know the rules for anchoring in the keys?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:44 pm 
Pro Member

In the keys, no anchoring allowed on coral. Unless you are out in extreme winds or current, a 1.5# collapsible anchor should be sufficient. For The deeper the water, the more anchor line you need. , but in calm conditions, you can get away with minimum scope. I've never needed more than 25' or so of line, even in the high current of Chokoloskee. If you still have concerns, get a 3 pounder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:29 am 

Good information. Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm 

I haven't much experience with anchoring deep for kayaking, but we always used the "water depth x swell height" to figure out anchor length. If you're in 25 ft of water in 2 ft swells, you want at least 50ft of line.

I've also heard 3ft of line for every ft of water depth. I imagine the same is true for kayaks.

I use a 3lb anchor and haven't had any issues with it holding. I have a friend who I fish with, who is slightly heavier, and uses a 5lb anchor. He likes the extra weight, as he can either deploy the arms on the anchor to secure him anywhere he wants, or he sometimes drops it with the arms retracted so they don't set, to slow down his drift.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 pm 

If your anchoring in deep water and there is ANY current, be very careful. Never anchor broadside to current. Always bow or stern. Feather it out. Also wear your PFD and don't go alone. I know this all seems obvious but S**t happens. I have 30 years paddling experience and I made couple STUPID moves this past fall that almost cost me my life because I "knew" what I was doing. Wrong! I was very lucky. So don't be complacent like I was. Wear your PFD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:13 am 

Thanks for the safety tips. I always wear my PFD. I think you are right about never go alone but I have at times gone alone. I am planning a 2 week trip to the keys and will have others with me. I am planning to drop my wife off at the airport and spend the week of March 19th - 26th paddle fishing the gulf coast alone. If anyone is going out fishing that week I would love to tag along. I will reach out again when the time gets closer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:54 pm 

If your going to fish the gulf coast alone, seriously reconsider that thought especially if it deep water. Whenever you hear a story about a kayak fatality it's almost always because they were alone. If you insist on going alone, Practice self rescue, Make yourself a self rescue step. it really helps. Have a radio! Tell some someone where you going to be. Unplanned things like current, wind, tides can get you trouble quick. Don't be a statistic! I realize I may sound like I'm preaching but please take me serious. Last fall, i was one of those guys who just thought he was going t go out and do a little fishing in a place I've been to a BUNCH of times. Not a big deal right? Long story short anchor got hung up, current current jerk the yak kinda funny and over I went. I couldn't get the anchor to release. Water's cold and I knew I had to get out quick. After a while of trying to release the anchor I kinda panicked a little and tried to swim to shore which was 30 yds away. Not a big deal right? Wrong! My boots filled up with water and I got tired. REALLY tired! I went under. My life flashed before my eyes. I thought this was it. I found some reserve strength I didn't know I had and somehow made it close enough to shore where I could touch bottom. More to the story after that but I lived. Here's my point, I've been paddling for 40 yrs! I should know what I'm doing. I did SO many things wrong that day. I got careless. My PFD was in the bow, I had the wrong anchor, I anchored wrong, I was alone, I didn't even tell my wife where I was, etc. S**t happens and you have to really think about what you'll do if something goes wrong. I wasn't prepared and I got lucky. Very lucky. Sorry about the preaching. I just want other people to learn from my mistakes. Tight Lines Rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:54 pm 

Thanks Rob, I just bought my first kayak last fall and have only been out a few times. I have very little experience. I was concerned about fishing alone but after reading of your experience I will be sure to look for others to fish with on my trip up the gulf coast. Thanks again, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am 

Mike, You sound like a guy who likes to fish and likes the pure enjoyment that kayak fishing offers. Welcome to the club. Your just like all of us. The adventure and the exploration of new water is exciting. Me personally that's what I love about kayak fishing especially in your waters. I fish alone all the time in your waters. I love it. Going in and out of the mangroves, the variety of fish, the potential for big fish and yes even the option to fish the BIG water. It's all appealing. I get it. It all sounds fun and you want to do it all! But big water, deep water and/or rivers demand respect. Current and tide can get you in trouble REAL quick. Your going along and your thinking " I got this" and the next thing your in the water. It happens that fast. You've got one life. That's it. Taking chances is OK but you gotta be prepared for when s**t goes wrong. Last night I was thinking about my experience(as I have many times since then). I counted 11 things I could've done differently that if I had done ONE of them, my life wouldn't have been in danger. My grandson almost didn't get to go fishing with his grandfather. That's what put it into perspective for me. It really made me think. That was just one story. I have other's where things turned out OK. Experience got me/us through it. Sometime's Experience isn't enough. That's what I learned last year. I'm still gonna do what I love to do and yes I will still fish alone so should you. I will not fish the Gulf alone though. Too risky. If you do fish alone, just think ahead and be prepared. DON"T be a statistic. If you look at the the statistics, almost ALL of the kayak fatality's are guys alone! If you want some tips on how to rig your kayak I'd be glad to help. Pm me and I'll give you my cell. Tight Lines Rob in Montana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:44 am 

FYI, I just convinced a friend to fly down and meet me the last week of my trip. Now I won't be kayaking alone. I would still to fish with anyone who is going out that week. It would be nice to meet some of you and it helps to fish with locals.