Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 pm
Posts: 140
Pulled the trigger on a Jackson Big Rig a few days ago. So far I love it. It is as stable as a floating dock, but thankfully paddles very well. Got to slime it up on the first outing with 4 quality reds.

Also looking for paddle suggestions for this wide of a kayak, 37". Looking in the 260cm range, under $150. Leaning toward the Werner Tybee Hooked.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 pm
Posts: 266
Location: North Ft. Myers
Glad you found your boat, and nice reds. Paddle depends on your style, and if your seat will stay high, or low, etc. I was always a 230cm guy, but with the Jackson high seat, went to 250cm. I am a steep angle catch type paddler too. Best choice is an adjustable length you can play with. I would suggest a mid-sized blade, so as to give you best of both worlds. As far as price, get the lightest one you can afford.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
Lifer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:22 pm
Posts: 1526
Location: Cape Coral,Fl.
Congrats on the new kayak! Way to break it in in style.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 pm
Posts: 140
I had a 230cm aquabound sting ray hybrid for my Tarpon 140, It seemed to suit me well. I will probable paddle in the high position of the seat 90% of the time, the other 10% is probably if I get caught in a bad wind or something. I paddled the new kayak with my wifes BB slice 230cm. I had to really reach to get a full paddle stroke, resulted in a pretty awkward motion to get near full speed. I actually enjoyed poling it, with the wang anchor, more than I did paddling on the flats when the wind allowed.

Thanks Bob!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Cape Coral
I have a 250 cm Werner Tybee Hooked. Love it. Lightweight, adjustable angle. Very comfortable. Got it from ACK. With their 15% discount it came to $110. I paddle in the high position on my OK Big Game 2 and also use it when I stand.

_________________
Hobie PA 14
FeelFree Moken 12.5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 pm
Posts: 140
I ended up with the Werner Tybee Hooked in 260cm actually. So far I am very happy with it, although when funds allow I would like to move to a lighter paddle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 am
Posts: 494
Location: Cape Coral
Nice Jackson! I really don't take too much stock in expensive paddles and can as fast and far as with a cheap paddle. This is the least on the priority behind comfort, speed and have reliable light rods and reels. Paddles being light and carbon fiber are luxuries in my opinion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jackson Big Rig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:16 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:25 am
Posts: 1
Image

What a catch!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group