Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 am 

Are we ever done tweaking our fishing rigs? Finally got around to signing up for photobucket (because we all need another place to upload photos to!) Here are some pictures of my Jackson Big Tuna YakAttack. I added several gear tracks since I didn't like the factory placement of the 1/4 -20 inserts. I use the tracks for my panfish camera mount, Rod holders using Ram Balls, VISICarbon Pro, T-Reign for gear tracks and a RailBlaza G-hold for my paddle or Park n Pole. On my Brute 25qt cooler, I have 2 rod holders on one side and a gear track on the other. On the top I have a RailBlaza port that I use for one of my GoPros. The cooler still leaves plenty of room on each side in the tank well for tackle boxes, gear, etc. I made a live well out of my YakAttack Tuna Tank and left my other Big Tuna Yellow Jacket tank alone to use with the Jackson cooler.

Jackson Big Tuna
Hobie PA

Pro Staff: Bison Coolers, Xcite Baits, Huk, Line Cutterz and Slumberjack

http://www.facebook.com/JodyFinleyPhotography

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 pm 

Nice ride man! But, what is that thing you are wearing over your shirt?? :shock:

Kinda curious as to how many member wear a PDF while on the flats. I totally agree about being ready offshore and deeper water but how many actually wear one in the backcountry? Maybe one of those super skinny auto inflate ones that the tourney guys wear? I'll take some suggestions if you have one that is comfortable and not too hot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:14 am 

I wear one and it rarely comes off.children should always wear one and if your a poor swimmer why would you bet on being able to touch the bottom.can you float or swim if you suffer a heart attack or heat stroke ? Wearing one also sets a good example for new and inexperienced paddlers. Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 am 

In addition to setting an example for my 9 yr old who was also on my kayak, we were paddling to new pass, which can have some ripping currents, I'm not taking any chances. I also have Crohn's disease which can bring me excruciating pain at a moments notice. Since I want to live to see tomorrow and hate hospitals. I wear a PFD. Plus, it gives me some places to keep tools, Chapstick, etc. Yes I sweat a little more, but my Stolquist is very comfortable. Search YouTube for Robert Field and watch the his video of a wave flipping his Hobie.

Jackson Big Tuna
Hobie PA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:56 am 

Can you guys recommend a comfortable/lightweight one? Is that the High back type?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 am 

You can't go wrong with Stolquist, Kokatat or NRS. They all make a high back PFD for kayak fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:54 pm 

Should you get hit by a boat or jet ski and "knocked out" wearing a pfd would be a life saver. Never know when you'll be in a catastrophe like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:58 pm 

Here is a pic of my custom TanPak from YakAttack. I'd asked them to make me one a while ago. They had another request for one for the fishing for soldiers tourney in Tenn (https://www.facebook.com/fishingforsoldiers) to use on an Army green Jackson Coosa.

Jackson Big Tuna
Hobie PA