Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jackson bigrig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:47 pm 

Having recently got back into kayak fishing after taking a break for a few years I purchased a Viking profish reload, having used it for a few months I found that it is a great kayak, way better than the fish and dive and marauder I had previously. However now having passed 52 and not having the flexibility and muscle tone I once had the traditional kayak seat gets really uncomfortable for me after about 5 hours, my legs and butt really start to ache.

As the trend seems to be making kayaks that still handle well but with more comfortable seating and natural seating position I thought it would be a good idea to get one for longer days on the water. Picked it up this morning and am initially very impressed with Jacksons attention to detail, build quality and amount of extras that come with the yak.

My plan is to keep the Viking for shorter trips and for trying to get into deep sea fishing off the east coast Looking into some meetup groups there to join and do trips with, It should handle the surf well and is fast enough to fight the wind and current. The bigrig will be my Yak for longer days on the water where I don't expect to cover great distances and for trying to do more stand up sight fishing locally or in the indian river and keys. I also love night fishing and this yak will be ideal for that once I figure out the power for the dragonfly, baitwell and lights. A battery, pos/neg bussbars and switch bank etc.

In advance I purchased a duplicate mount and transducer for my dragonfly which I will install shortly so I can switch the head unit from one yak to the other.

Taking it out tomorrow for it's initial tryout and to see if my 240cm paddle will work for both yaks .

I also built a rolling rack for storing the yaks and moving then around with no pressure points.

I will post my initial impressions of the big rig after trying it out tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Jackson bigrig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:14 pm 

Neat setup. I like the rack you made

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:49 pm 

superman48 wrote:
Neat setup. I like the rack you made

Thanks, the Viking only weighs 65lbs so I can roll the rack out drop it on the ground and load it very easily, the bigrig should slide from the top of the cart right onto the roof. I will try it in the morning and see what mods I have to make.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm 
Lifer

Awesome! I'm looking into a big rig for my ole lady.... How do you like it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:21 pm 

RyanWarden wrote:
Awesome! I'm looking into a big rig for my ole lady.... How do you like it?

no idea yet, just picked it up this morning. first trip will be tomorrow. Will post first impressions soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:43 pm 
Lifer

Very nice, Redfish10. Good luck and hope you get her slimed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:58 pm 
Lifer

Ok looking forward to your review and report

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:04 pm 

I used the same sort of rig for my Ultimate in the past. Sure made it easy to load on to my Hullavator.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 pm 

]Well took the big rig out today for a test run. Very impressed. First it floats very shallow, even though it far outweighs the Viking the larger footprint allows it to float in less water.
Even though I read a lot of reviews I was surprised at how it handles, Not a speed demon but not a slug either, way better than the Cobra fish and dive I had a long time ago with similar dimensions. It tracks pretty well for it's size and high profile. It is actually very nimble, turns really well with just a couple of strong strokes. I purchased it without a rudder and do not think I will need to add one.
The high seating position is going to take a while to get used to, In a traditional yak where you are down low you feel very connected to the yak almost a part of it. Sitting up higher in a more lawn chair type of seat feels looser less secure, BUT my god what a difference in comfort. I was out for over 7 hours today and when I beached and stood up I never felt a thing. 7 hours in the Viking kills my backs and legs I am like Quasimodo when i'm done. Having the ability to stand up and stretch whenever I felt like it is huge. I also spent some time standing paddling and drifting, I was slightly shocked how many fish I spooked, fish I never would have known were there if I was sitting.

I think I am going to have some great days with this tool as I learn to use it better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 am 
Lifer

good deal! thanks for the report