It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:18 pm 

"OK, I've got dessert covered" said the diabetic. :lol:

My Homemade Peppermint Stick Ice cream With Hot Fudge Sauce

2 C Heavy Cream
1 C Whole Milk
2 Eggs + 3 yolks
2 2/2 - 3 tsp. Peppermint Extract (the real stuff)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 C Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Red food coloring - optional

36 Starlight type Mints - crushed

Combine all but the mints in a large sauce pan and heat STIRRING CONSTANTLY till mixture coats back of a spoon. DO NOT heat ANY custard to 170º or higher EVER! The eggs will scramble and your custard will break and get lumpy. This a really great place for an instant read thermometer. When the custard has coated a spoon (please see Note), cover and refrigerate till cold. This gives your ice cream maker a head start. Make into ice cream your usual way. Add the crushed mints about 5 minutes before the ice cream is done so they get mixed in well but do not melt. I crushed them (not to fine) in a plastic bag with a hammer. I was making this in a Cuisinart Ice cream maker where you put the bowl in the freezer well in advance and was getting outstanding results.

NOTE: A standard way to test a custard for doneness is to dip a spoon into it and remove from custard, drag your finger tip through the custard coating the spoon. The clean trail left by your finger tip should stay open and not flow back together or fill back in.

Hot Fudge Sauce

1 16 oz. Pkg. Chocolate Chips
1 oz. (square) Baking Chocolate
1/2 C Light Corn Syrup
1/4 C Half & Half or Whole Milk or other Cream
1/2 stick Butter
Pinch of Salt

Combine and melt all in a double boiler again stirring faithfully. I brought mine to about 170º but do not know if it matters at all.

When I was a kid we frequently had dinner at HoJo's and I always had the fried clams and a peppermint stick sundae for desert. Flash forward 30 - 40 years and I was cooking for my retired parents as a private chef. I was making a lot of dishes from my childhood in thanks for how well my mother fed us when we were young. My parents would purrrr like a pair of kittens over my Peppermint Stick Ice cream and Hot Fudge sundae's. Not only did it bring back fond memories but was as good if not better than the original.

WARNING: This will make you fat if consumed to frequently!

Blair

"Sometimes . . . in the ashes . . . an ember is found. Sometimes . . . from the ember . . . a fire is born. Sometimes . . . by the fire . . . a story is told. Sometimes . . . in the story . . . a lesson is learned." "Practicing Primitive: A Handbook of Aboriginal Skills" by Steven Watts 2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Your evil, us fat boys don't need an excuse to eat more :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm 

LOL, at least you can eat it, I'm diabetic and haven't been able to eat it for years. Memories are great but don't taste half as good. :lol:

As for being evil . . . I'm just warming up! :twisted: :lol:

Blair

"Sometimes . . . in the ashes . . . an ember is found. Sometimes . . . from the ember . . . a fire is born. Sometimes . . . by the fire . . . a story is told. Sometimes . . . in the story . . . a lesson is learned." "Practicing Primitive: A Handbook of Aboriginal Skills" by Steven Watts 2004