Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:04 pm 

If someone would help me with the Hobie Outback cart measuments?, I live in Iowa and my Outback is in Fort Myers Beach, want to make cart jig to help me put my cart in kayak holes when I pull kayak out of the water, if someone could give me the cart poles centers and the width of the kayak from side to side across the poles, I have trouble lining up the cart holes, the large cart tires want to ride up too, I made a cart jig for my Hobie i12 inflatable kayak, made jig using a wood 2x2 attached to the cart, the holes on i12 are in the marage drive hole, very simple just put the 2x2 though the bottom of Marage drive and line up the holes worked great. Thanks for any help. Take care———Frank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 am 

Thanks for the reply Sailor. I have a Hobie Outback cart. I want to build my cart jig here in Iowa so I can take it with me when I fly down to FMBeach, that is why I ask for the dimensions, easier to build here than in FMBeach. Take care———Frank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:27 am 

Hey Frank: Did you get the info you need? I have a cart rack I purchased on line for use with my Hobie Outback. The scupper holes are 10-7/8" (c -
c) apart and the width of the yak at the holes is 29-1/4". Hope this helps.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

John, Thanks for the help, that was the measurments I was looking for, do have any trouble connecting the cart to the kayak in the water. Thanks acgain. Take care——-Frank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 am 

I tip my yak onto its side when putting on or removing from cart. To put yak on cart or take off without putting on side requires you lift yak about 8" or so above the height of the posts in order to remove the posts out of scupper holes. I have found this difficult to do, especially if you have any added weight to yak. I have not found it much easier with yak partially in water. (Bear in mind that I am a scrawny old guy). There are other type carts where you merely place the front of your yak on the top surface of the cart and strap on. These carts do not require you lift or tip your yak more than a few inches.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am 

John. I hear you brother, I am 77 years old and will not give up my kayaking.The cart jig I made for my Hobie i12 inflable kayak works great when putting the kayak cart on when in the water, this one should do the same, if you want I will send you a pitcher of the cart jig, better yet I will make one for you if you want. Thanks for the help. take care——-Frank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:20 am 

Hey Frank: Sure. Send a picture of your rig when you get a chance; I'd like to see.

What area do you routinely fish when in these parts? Let's go out together sometime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:52 am 

John. I would like to fish Matlacha with you sometime, I usually fish Esterio Bay and Fisherman Key, I stay at my Sons condo on the south end of Fort Myers Beach, about 15 minuets away from Lovers Key boat ramp. The traffic is bad in the winter months on FMB. Still learning salt water fishing. I store my kayaks in Bonita Spring, I have a trolling motor on my Outback, I put a rectangular gear bucket hatch on it instead of the round one, fits three Plano
boxes and room on top for paddle tail, works great a lot better than the round hatch. Could you please give me the diamator of the wheel cart poles. I am making two cart jigs at home and will give you one when we meet up, hope to be in FMBeach sometime in December. If you could PM your phone number I could call you when Iam going to FMBeach, my cell# is 402-290-8931. Take care ———Frank