Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm 

Down from Montana doing volunteer work around Fort Meyers next 3 months. Could not bring my kayak so will be renting one down here. Have never fished salt water before but brought my bass rig and also 8wt fly outfit. What type setup should I be using?

Post subject: Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 pm 
Lifer

Kendal, Your bass rig should probably work. Being a bass fisherman you are used to throwing artificials. On a yak to save space you will want to limit what you take. I would recommend a top water like a spook, jr. a suspending plug like a mirrolure mirrodine, and a selection of jig heads in 1/8 and 1/4 in sizes. Soft plastics like gulp shrimp and z-man paddlerz work great. I prefer white or pearl bodies with chartruese or red jig heads. Also weighted swim bait hooks which can be used with these same baits for a weedless presentation. Tidal action is key to catching fish in salt water. Fishing incoming or outgoing tides will be key to catching fish. Fish potholes in the grass flats for spotted sea trout and the mangrove shorelines for snook and redfish.
Flyfishing is done by some around here but I haven't done it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm 

Bass Pro shops typically will have some fly instruction available. Check with them. You could also check with Capt. Joe Mahler, http://www.joemahler.com/. He is one of the best in the area, and I believe kayaks as well. If you're new to the area, hiring a kayak guide will save you a lot of time learning. I did the same when I was moving here, and it helped tremendously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am 

You guys are awesome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 am 

welcome.. 3 months if you like to fish you may be better off buying a used kayak, don;t need to break the bank.. find a well used Tarpon 120/140, OK Prowler/Trident on craigslist, use and abuse it then sell when you leave... Trying to rent I've never found that an easy thing to do, its very hard to find a rental that you can pickup at 5am in the morning or rigged for fishing..

blf, pretty much covered baits, 8wt is good with WF floating line dwon to 15/20# tip, and not sure what your bass rig is but it should work as well just make sure you rinse the salt off/out well after each use.. salt is hard on equipment.. if you are a bass guy that likes 65 pound braid to yank and crank them, you may want to re-spool with 10/20# braid with 15/25# fluro leader.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm 

Went out on Monday and had a great day. Couple of catfish but then got into a bunch of Ladyfish. Wow what fighters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am 

Kendal wrote:
Went out on Monday and had a great day. Couple of catfish but then got into a bunch of Ladyfish. Wow what fighters.

Ladyfish are sometimes called the poor mans Tarpon... If you get into Jacks you'll never go back to bass.