Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:39 pm 

The last time I fished Estero Bay was last February, I talk to two fishing guides at the lovers Key boat ramp, they said the trout fishing was bad, they said the grass was gone, because of Big O problem, can the grass come back or what? Any fishing reports from Fisherman Key? Will be in Fort Myers Beach November 26th to December 8th, give me a shout if anyone wants to fish thise area. Take care—————- Frank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:17 pm 

Only time will tell if grass comes back once its gone... Over around Stuart up to Ft. Pierce it all died, or was killed, off several years ago and has only gotten worse ever since...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 am 

It will never be the same as it was 20 years ago or even 10 years ago...rampant development has thrown our water shed out of wack. The slow trickle of fresh water mixing with salt is what the grass likes, that and clear water for the sun to help it grow. Jet ski tours, mass amounts of boaters (boat clubbers too) and large sight seeing boats have made the water turbid and cloudy which also doesnt help the grass. As of yesterday (11-25) there were 8-10 dead dolphins reported from Marco to Ft Myers.. one washed up in New Pass and I saw the one a Capt brought into Wiggins.. two washed ashore in Naples as well. We have major water issues...and those of us that utilize this resource need to be well informed and involved in anyway possible.. Captains For Clean Water, Bull Sugar, Everglades Foundation.. get involved and fight, even if your only here 3 weeks out of the year..we're all Floridians and we need to stick together to keep our elected officials in check and see to it our children dont have to deal with this problem