Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Red Tide
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm 

Hi: Has anyone yet seen any effects of the current red tide on snook in the Matlacha and/or Pine Island Sound area? I ran into a guide the other day that indicated snook were taking a heavy hit in the Gulf.

Post subject: Re: Red Tide
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:24 am 
Pro Member

Lots of fish being affected north by Boca Grande. Dolphin, Tarpon, Snook, Goliath Grouper. Haven't seen it this strong in the past. Hope it stays up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 am 

Here is a link to the fish kill off Boca Grande. I just read a research study that says thay the toxicity of the algae responsible for red tide increases dramatically as it comes ashore and encounters more fresh water. That is, red tide becomes more toxic to fish as the salinity goes down. Maybe fresh, dirty from lake O has some effect but it seems unlikely that is responsible for the kill off Boca Grande.

https://www.facebook.com/1636004511/pos ... 588277564/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 am 
Pro Member

No effect from Lake O. This is strictly red tide, and stronger than in the past. Not sure what the outcome will be but hope the fish will come into PI sound to escape the stuff, and end result is better fishing for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 am 

Red tide is always around (or least that's how it seems for the last 10 years or so) and usually stays well offshore. I've lived in Charlotte County for 20 years now and I can only remember red tide coming into the harbor itself like 5 times, so it can happen. The way you can tell that it's in the harbor is that it makes you cough and it gives me terrible allergies. Seeing dead fish does not mean anything since the dead fish that you see died while they were out in the gulf or on the beaches.

To BokeeliaDon's comments, there are a lot of people that believe the in the increase in red tide occurrence and severity has a lot to do with increased levels of phosphate and nitrogen due to freshwater runoff. Some of that has to do with Lake O' and lot has to do with phosphate mining, people fertilizing their lawns, and agriculture. More research certainly needs to be done as this is frustrating problem that seem to hover around our area.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:59 pm 

Any updates on local red tide from our members?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:02 am 

I'm curious as to whether anyone has been out of Pineland recently? Are there any signs of red tide or dead fish. Thinking of going out tomorrow. Have recently been going out of Matlacha but need a change.