Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 am 

Doing a little forward thinking it looks like the [url]Calusa BlueWay Tournament[/url]is scheduled for Dec. 8th 2018

Will any of you's be fishing this event this year ?

If you have participated what are your thoughts, good, bad, and/or ugly ?

What are good places, cheap but safe for kayak on the roof parking and easy access to launch sites, to stay overnight on say Friday & Saturday ?

I have always looked at it, never participated, usually fished the DOA tournament as my 1 away from home sleepover tournament although I missed out last year and 2013... If I can swing it I may try and make this one this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:59 pm 

krash…...I checked this out and it is as you say and sponsored by Gulf Coast Kayak in Matlacha.
Their web site has full info except their link to THE RULES does not work. Have you found the rules anywhere? That would be a starting point

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:07 pm 

I fished it last year and had a great time! Well run tournament, thanks to the folks at Gulf Coast Kayaks. I got my slam and 4th place! Missed the money by a quarter inch! The rules and info should be available by August, I believe. You can contact Brian or Diana at GCK. I'm sure they can fill you in. Can I answer any specific questions about the rules?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm 

Here is a link for info on the tournament and there is a link on this site to the rules. Last year there was about 60 participating, including professional fishing guides, so it is highly competitive. It was my first tournament, so I was very surprised and pleased to have done so well! A lot of great stories and memories, and all for a great cause! The winner landed a 38 inch redfish!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-calus ... 5385124128

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am 

Dick K wrote:
krash…...I checked this out and it is as you say and sponsored by Gulf Coast Kayak in Matlacha.
Their web site has full info except their link to THE RULES does not work. Have you found the rules anywhere? That would be a starting point

Rules, I don't need no stinkin rules so long as its all artificial I feel I can compete with the best of um. I just fish and bs with friends, it's always hard to beat the locals in their own game and backyard, its just fun to meet new people and put faces to avatar's. Tournaments are always a crap shoot when in foriegn waters, its like if you's SW guys coming over to SE side and try to outfish us locals chasing a Bonefish & Permit, but there is also luck involved too and ya just never know whos gonna drop a lure in front of a big fish. All them years I fished the DOA event I never counted or expected to win the big prize in someone else's backyard but its fun to try and there was always the raffle's.

This event has been run for years and always has good reviews, up on the scale of the DOA and Jacksonville paddle fishing events.

I got approval from the real boss and my financial advisor I can do an away tournament again this year so I was thinking this could be a fun one, I always hear about the great fishing you SW guys have over there but its just to far, (3+ hour one way drive), or a single day trip or I'd come follow Sailor around once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 am 

Sorry krash, if you are looking for an artificial only tournament, this one is not for you. Live and frozen bait are allowed, although I got my slam last year on topwaters only. Redfish were hard to find last year and mine was only 17 inches. I had a 25 inch snook and a 22 3/4 inch trout (which was counted as 22 inches) for a total of 64 inches for 4th place. 3rd place was 65 inches, but it was a great time with some fun people!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 am 
Pro Member

We need to let the current redtide bloom disperse a bit

Last edited by sailor144 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:18 pm 

Wow, HD did not last long sorry to hear it did not work out. Soon after the new grandson is born, in a couple weeks, I may look for a job, need some cash tp complete the Native project and a few other things like perhaps some new teeth and eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 pm 
Pro Member

HD chose to not stick by their letter of offer, and details of my salary. After two weeks, I decided to cut the cord. Not worth legal action as it was only a difference of $200. Have some current options I am following up on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 am 

Go for it Sailor, HD probably would have interfered with your fishing anyhow.

Now back on track lets hear more about fishing the BlueWay tournament.. how, what, where, do you compete with the pro's ???