Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:31 pm 

I want to buy a pedal kayak, but which system is better or easy to pedal the Native's system or hobie's.

Thanks bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 pm 

I have a Hobie PA 12, but haven't tried the Native so it wouldn't be a fair comparison. I have had no trouble with the Mirage drive, it's easy in, easy out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm 
Pro Member

Hobie! I have never used the Native system but I have talked to native owners who did not like their pedal system and switched to Hobie. I own two Hobies and I love them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 am 

Jim would probably be the expert to talk to on this cause he has had both. It also seems hobie has a following. Ha ha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 am 

I think you need to demo them both, there is so much more involved then just the drive. I did my homework and researched all last summer before pulling the trigger on the Hobie Revo 13 that I get to pick up this week. For me I think the back and forth action of the Hobie will be easier on my ankles then the cycling type action of the Native. I'll get into details when I can post My Ride. In my research on line I did notice the Hobie's customer service is very well liked where Native's appears to have taken some hits. I have also seen where the Hobie is preferred for fishing grass but I have no first hand experience.

Blair

"Sometimes . . . in the ashes . . . an ember is found. Sometimes . . . from the ember . . . a fire is born. Sometimes . . . by the fire . . . a story is told. Sometimes . . . in the story . . . a lesson is learned." "Practicing Primitive: A Handbook of Aboriginal Skills" by Steven Watts 2004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 am 

I have a Hobie i12 Mirage Drive, works great for me, the Hobie peddle flippers lay up flat against the bottom of kayak when peddles are pushed forward and locked for shallow water areas, don't know how the Native Drive works, the only thing to make my Hobie better would be to have a chair seat to sit up higher for peddling, will try my new chair seat set up out next week, will fly from Iowa to Fort Myers Beach this Friday the 26 th of April. Take care --------Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 am 

They are both good systems. I prefer the Native since I fish the mangroves a lot and it has reverse. The Hobie is faster but lacks reverse. Both of them have a quality boat and you really need to demo them for yourself and form your own opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 am 

Hobie. By far. There are way more advantages when using the Hobie Mirage over the Native system. I was not impressed with the cycling motion of the Native at all. Btw, it is possible to go in reverse with the Mirage Drive. Simply insert the drive backwards. I did this to try out after reading about it in the Hobie forum and it worked. I do have to admit the few times I need to reverse when I'm out fishing I just use the paddle. Regardless of which one you go with, make sure you try before you buy. Good luck!! :D