Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am 

Hello and Greetings! I am Larry and have only been seriously fishing for about a year and except for a few guided trips, I fish mainly in a Kayak. I started with a smaller big box yak to see if I liked it and discovered with my shoulder I needed some extra propulsion esp coming home against the wind. Considered a Hobie but, I bought a Feel Free Lure 11.5 and put a Bixpy motor on the rudder.. The motor gets me there and back and I paddle while fishing. Live part time in KY and have fished many lakes there. Never caught a trophy bass yet. Interested in a little input from the group re fresh water sites and I will comb this forum for hints. I have fished the canals in Naples and have caught many (smaller) Peacocks. Have fished Babcock and Webb a couple times. I have dragged my smaller boat across some marshes to get into small lakes. Am saddened that Estero River has so many coliforms. I went to Trafford last week after someone at BPS told me they had a tourney there recently but only caught one 13" largemouth ( I wasn't fishing for Crappie). I scared the lady at the counter to death as she was afraid an alligator was going to attack me. I don't know if her response deserves some kind of emoji but I actually appreciated her concern for me. I have since been told this is a poor lake for bass due to lack of depth and structure away from the shore.
Also hoping to join at least one other for trip to Everglades or other more remote places where there is greater safety in numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 pm 

booker

I enjoy fishing for bass in SW Florida and have been doing it for about 15 years.

There are areas of Florida with more and bigger bass but there are enough between Naples and Tampa
to keep me interested.

But, they are scattered in the many ponds, lakes and canals that you see driving around.

Golf community lakes can be good if you can get permission. Search YouTube for "bass fishing" for the area you are interested in trying.

YES, please be wary of big gators. They may look peaceful sunbathing but I do not trust them at all.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:23 am 

Thanks very much