Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:58 am 

After a seemingly endless winter away from Florida - waiting for the northerners to go home, I guess - I'll be back on Pine Island for the rest of the year.
I'll be living on the north end of the island, with Jug Creek right outside my back door and the harbor/sound across the street. There's a seawall along the creek, but I've been able to launch a tandem kayak from there with no problem. I've never tried launching my 11-foot fishing kayak there, but I'll find out soon enough if it's doable. My hunch is that it will be easiest around the high tide.
Anyway, once I have that figured out I'll put out the standard invitation for anyone who wants to come launch from there. Direct access to Jug Creek and an easy paddle/pedal to the east side of Pine Island.

I'll update this when I'm back and settled in. Looking forward to getting together with you guys. For now, just saying hi. See you soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm 

Wow! Great offer. Thank you, but I'm a snowbird and leaving on April 3. We'll be stopping up in Navarre, Fl. for a couple of weeks and kayak fishing in Santa Rosa Sound. Have a great summer. I'll be back November 1. Hope to take you up on your generous offer, then. Tight lines!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 am 

Hello EJ: Great to hear you'll be back on the Island this summer. Let's try to do a meetup when back in town.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:22 am 

Thats awesome. Thank you for the invite. Let me know how the launch goes. I have a 12ft Wahoo so if the 11 is a pain, I can imagine a 12. =) . Have an excellent day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am 

Just an update:
I'm back. I still have some stuff to sort out before getting ready to host any kayak fishing, and I'll start a new thread soon for that.

For now: The fishing is fantastic up here at the north end of Pine Island right now. Huge schools of finger mullet moving through at the pier, with snook hanging around to feast on them.

I fished about 20 feet from my back door yesterday evening right after sunset and caught a 27-inch snook within maybe 5 minutes using a Z-man jig with white paddletail. There are a bunch of small-ish mangrove snappers and sheepshead that hang out here, also. I haven't seen any tarpon or reds yet. My neighbor across the street will let me know when the big reds show up in the harbor, but that's probably later in the summer if it's like last year (the reds are monsters when they do show up, way outside the slot size).

I'm ordering an LED light strip to make a night fish attractor light that I can hang in the water out back. If it works, I'll let you guys know and maybe we'll have a non-kayak fishing get together some night soon. I'll have parking for at least four or five vehicles.

Further updates soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 am 

awesome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 pm 

Hey, good to hear you're back. How's the shoulder? Let's go out soon. I'm finishing up a house but should be good to go in about two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:24 pm 

EJ, we are neighbors! I am on Main St., in Seagull Bay. I have been yak fishing Jug Creek all winter and have caught a lot of trout and snook, with some reds. I went out this morning and got the Bubba Slam! Snook, trout, and (take your choice) catfish, ladyfish or mangrove! Let's go out sometime together. Don