Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:09 am 

If anyone's interested in fishing at night off the north end of Pine Island, let me know.

We would launch across the street from where I live on Bocilla Lane. It's a beach launch. You can fish wherever you want, but I'd suggest paddling over to the area around the Bokeelia fishing pier, which is maybe 1/4 mile from here (10 minutes or so by kayak). The fishing at the pier has been consistently good this month: snook, mackerel, mangrove snapper, trout, sheepshead, black drum, and sharks. Live bait is best, but frozen shrimp/mullet will work, as will artificials.

I'm not sure if lights are required on kayaks at night. Even if they're not, I recommend them because there are power boat fishermen that go out at night, and you need to be visible for safety. I bought some battery operated lights from Amazon that are really bright.

Also recommended: A wearable headlight.

Any day of the week is fine. This isn't just a weekend thing. Let me know what night you want to try it and I'll try to make sure it works for me.

Preferred launch time would be about 1/2 hour before sunset. Subject to weather, of course: If conditions aren't good (strong winds/gusts, thunderstorms in vicinity, etc.) it's better to wait for a more favorable setup.

Send me your contact info, including a phone number, and I'll send you mine along with more details: E-mail me at edstock707@gmail.com. The messaging system on this web site has been a bit hit-or-miss.

[Also, if anyone's interested, I'm going with a kayak group to watch the fireworks on the 4th from the Caloosahatchee. We're launching from the Cape Coral Yacht Club about 7:30 on the 4th.)