Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wiggins Pass & New Pass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am 

Last week I launched at the Cocahatchee boat launch near Wiggins Pass. I bought some live shrimp as a back-up because lately, I've been doing a lot of fishing but not much catching. The guy at the bait shop gave me all the bad news about dead fish and turtles and nobody catching snook anymore. I wasn't going to let it ruin my day. the weather was beautiful the water was clear and there was an east wind so I didn't have to worry about choking on red tide. Fishing was slow. I did catch a jack on a white zman paddlerz and a nice snapper on a gulp shrimp. I also hit a couple of oyster bars with live shrimp and caught 4 sheepshead. Still...a great day to be on the water.
Yesterday I launched across from the dog beach on Estero Blvd. Tide was coming in, wind was from the southeast and water clarity was great. I fished the grass flats, oyster bars, and mangroves using a variety of artificials and got skunked. I couldn't believe it. The water and tides were perfect with a lot of ripping current.

So my question is this. Is summertime fishing in Florida tougher than fall and winter? This is my first summer here and I've been fishing really hard and not catching like I do in the fall and winter. Are there different tactics I should be using or is it the red tide that's screwing thing up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 am 
Pro Member

Summer is definitely tougher, key is slow, slower, etc. Water quality is definitely affecting it. Try back up in the creeks in Estero Bay. Reports are bait are escaping water around the passes, and rest of fish are following them. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:42 am 

Thanks Sailor. I will try that. I'm headed for Pennsylvania next week but when I get back I'll start hitting the creeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:26 pm 

Get under the mangroves/docks as much as possible when the sun comes up. They wont be baking on the flats in the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 pm 

???? Summer is usually the best fishing all year!!!!!! late summer and early fall especially!!!! and much a changed in Estero and surrounding areas...a very different landscape on the bottom of our bay.. sad to see and have seen other red tides before but.. wow