Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1/2-1/5 Multi Report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm 

So kids are at disney so I have been free to fish as much as I want/can.
Wednesday 1/2 I went to Ding Darling and the tide was a negative 3 which is perfect for the area I fish but there was little mullet and not much activity(besides small jacks and lady fish). I did catch 2 rat reds around 16"-17". Pretty disappointing for an area I usually love.

Thursday 1/3 I went to Pineland. Thought I would find tails but never really found the reds feeding. Saw a good number but they were really spooky. Did manage to catch a good number of nice trout on topwater up to 22" and a few small snook and a rat red about 17" to complete a small slam.

Friday 1/4 I fished 40 acre bay in the morning and caught a bunch of snooklets up to 24" but the wind made it hard to explore so called it early. In the evening I went to Jug Creek and fished the outside. I caught a few decent snooklets up to 22" and a few trout up to 18". Just before dark a saw a red in one of the bars near the bank and through a Zman and he ate it immediately. I nice 28" red to complete a nice day on the water.

Satrurday 1/5 I decided to ride the Northwest wind from Matlacha Park to Tropical Point. Through 3/4 of the trip I really didn't see much besides a giant Jack whoch blew up on my topwater but somehow missed the hooks. I went back to Rock creek and finally hooked into a nice 24" multispot red tight to the bank in about a foot of water on a Zman white.

Continued south past the power lines and caught a rat red and a few small snook up to 18" and then caught the second good red of the trip on a jerk shad.

Hope these reports help put you on the fish.

Post subject: Re: 1/2-1/5 Multi Report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm 

Great Report and very glad to hear you are getting out. Weather was warm but we are due for some 40 degree nights. I was stuck at home but hipe to get after the Pine Island canal snook this coming week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:34 pm 

Always enjoy your reports here on the forum. Actually ran into you last weekend fishing with my wife on the tandem in Maria Drive. It’s been tough to find them this winter but also nice to see all the juvy reds around. Hope to see you out there again and safe travels back to PA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm 

Nice to have met you too. Always think I'm going to run into you guys from the forum out there. Nice to put a face to the name.