Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tropical Point 1/14
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm 

Went back to tropical for my last full day and as it always seems to happen last day was the best. Started in the same area I found the reds on the previous trip and through topwater for the first hour with no hits besides small snook and little jacks. Switched over to a Zman after an hour and fished the same water and caught 3 reds in the next hour along with a 19" trout. First was a 24". Followed by a 30" and a 31". The 31" looks like someone bit her cheek off. She also had gill damage on the other side I think from being caught before(quite a survivor)

After that I headed to a few creek mouths by the islands and got smacked. I set the hook so hard I broke the cleat holding the seat back. After a bunch of jumps and a sleigh ride I landed a 34" snook(best of the trip by far).

To finish out the trip I headed to the head of St James creek and caught a 32" red(biggest of the trip). Quite a nice topped to a great day. Total slam of 85" best of my life.

Post subject: Re: Tropical Point 1/14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:29 am 

I'm glad you had a great day before leaving Florida. I'm sure you'll be anxious to come back. Those were some really nice fish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am 

Already looking for cheap flights late February. Was really worried the red tide was going to ruin the fishing this year but it was very promising to see so many good reds along with tons on rat reds. Not so encouraging on the trout front however. Hopefully with some colder weather the trout will show up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm 

Awesome report. thanks. Glad the fished behaved for you. From tropical did you go north or south?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 pm 

The biggest was south of the launch at the head of St James creek. Most of the rest were north of power lines. Good luck