Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Islamorada fl. Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm 

When I am in Fort Myers Beach I stay at my Sons condo and fish Estero Bay, since the grass and trout are gone and the ban on redfish, would like to know if anyone ever kayak fish the backbay around Islamorada keys for trout and red fish, it is about a three hour drive from FMB, it take me about one and half hours from FMB to Pineland to fish.Also has anyone ever fish a charter boat in that area? My Sons and I would like to give it try. I heard the trout and redfish fishing was very good now. Thanks for any help. Take care——-Frank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:25 pm 
Pro Member

It shouldn't take you that long to get to Pineland. I would choose that over Islamorada any day. Check out the Tarpon Lodge right near the launch, you may even want to stay the night. Check with the Lodge, they have a few guides that operate out of there, that they would recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 am 

I'd venture to guess its well closer to 4 hour plus to Islamorada driving, but a nice place to fish when ya get there.

Don;t hear a lot about paddlers catching Reds, I think most Red Fish would be farther up into Florida Bay towards Mingo.

Grassy Key is a good spot to target, there is off the side of the hi-way launch area there. There are great grass flats around Lignumvitae Key (Small island) you can circumvent on a several hour paddle while fishing the flats and mangroves... on a nice day you can also pass under to the Ocean Side and hit some nice flats for some cuda action. Dependnig on time of year there are also Mackeral to be caught in the channel's that pass by the island.
Make sure you stop by Robbies to hand feed the Tarpon.

As a closer alternate there is good paddle fishing closer in Naples, Marco, Choko areas, or out to Sanibel Ding Darling area's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 pm 
Pro Member

I agree with Krash, the Keys are a beautiful place to fish. When I lived in Delray a few years ago, I would go to the Keys/Flamingo/Biscayne Bay at least two weekends a month. Choosing a fishing destination for me was about: How much time I had, How much $ do I have, and what do I want to catch. When I discovered the Pineland/Matlacha area, most of the time it turned out to be a cheaper trip, but I needed an extra day or so. Now that I live here, it's much different. For someone who lives or stays here, and is on a budget, you can't go wrong with fishing from Northern PI sound, down to Chokoloskee Is. If money and time are no problem, then I would go to the Keys, but I would definitely plan a day at Everglades National Park at Flamingo. It's worth the stopover. You can't go wrong with this southern part of the state.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 pm 

Thanks Salior and Krash for the help, sometime it can take you half hour or more to get off FMBeach island depending on the time of day, by the time I get to Pineland the lot is full at the free launch, the launch at Pineland Marine is a back braker for me, who ever designed that kayak launch problelly never launch a kayak,the worst kayak ramp I have ever used. Did the trout get hurt like Estero Bay Trout area with the red tide.Take care——- Frank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:23 pm 
Pro Member

Got to get going early to launch at Pineland! Trout reports are good in central and northern PI sound still. Also, down in 10K Islands.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:07 am 
Pro Member

frankfp wrote:
Thanks Salior and Krash for the help, sometime it can take you half hour or more to get off FMBeach island depending on the time of day, by the time I get to Pineland the lot is full at the free launch, the launch at Pineland Marine is a back braker for me, who ever designed that kayak launch problelly never launch a kayak,the worst kayak ramp I have ever used. Did the trout get hurt like Estero Bay Trout area with the red tide.Take care——- Frank

Frank, what I always have done, when the lot was full, there was always Tropical Point Park, or Matlacha Park launches available, with plenty of parking, so my trip was never in vain. If it was the weekend/holiday, and you had a Lee co. park sticker, the commercial launch is available too.