Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 pm 

Current setup is Thule roof rack on my ‘11 Corolla with a Yakima ShowDown easy mount system that drops to the side of the car so I can mount this beast Predator PDL by myself.
My issue is that the Yakima ThrowDown is rated for max of 80# and this Kayak is about 100# without the seat and pedal drive.
Does anyone use this setup? Should I be worried about the weight? I mounted it earlier and it seems fine.
Suggestion?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 am 

I'd not be worried about the weight of the kayak on the ShowDown, it's a lift assist system it's says it takes up to about 45% load factor... been kind of looking at something like these or the Hullavator for my needs, but my kayak/canoe/sup are only in the low 40# range.

I'd be more worried about the total rack weight with the wind combination factors of hi-way speed and cross-winds... most roof top racks are rated somewhere between 100-150# load range. If the kayak is 100+#, the ShowDown is another 23# you are close to maxed out without seat and pedal drive or any other accessories.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm 

Thank you for the insight! I agree. It’s something to think about down the road!
I would definitely recommend this mounting system for you though! Very easy to load, even with my kayake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Pro Member

Had Hullavator's for years, and can attest to the ease of loading/unloading. Pricey, but if you have a bad back, worth every penny.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:02 pm 

sailor144 wrote:
Had Hullavator's for years, and can attest to the ease of loading/unloading. Pricey, but if you have a bad back, worth every penny.

What kind of kayak do you use with your Hullavator?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:29 am 
Pro Member

All kinds: Native 14.5 Ultimate, Current Designs Altura, Kaskazi Dorado II. Had to modify/add padding a bit, depending on which boat I had.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:48 am 

With my 2dr Civic the roof line is barely neck high, the racks make it chin high.. how much added height does the ShowDown device add on top of your racks. I have the Thule Aero bars and find most add-on accessories are not as easy to add ar simply don;t fit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 pm 

krash wrote:
With my 2dr Civic the roof line is barely neck high, the racks make it chin high.. how much added height does the ShowDown device add on top of your racks. I have the Thule Aero bars and find most add-on accessories are not as easy to add ar simply don;t fit.

My Thule is rated for about 130# (give or take, idk the actual numbers) and the Showdown is 23#

My original plan was to use the Showdown to easily mount my Kayak and also be able mount my GFs on the other side of the rack. But I found out that I’m already pushing the capacity off the rack with just the Showdown and the Predator.
I’m looking into getting a light weight hitch and trailer