Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 37 Acre Bay 2/26
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:09 pm 

Flying out today so got up early again and went to 37 Acre Bay to avoid fighting the wind(been a pretty windy 4 days). Caught 3 rat reds outside Pumpkin key 2 were 17" and one was 18" and a decent 17" trout. Went into 37 Acre and caught a nice 26" snook on topwater but really didn't see anything else back there so worked the backside of Pumpkin and caught another slot 28" snook(3rd in 4 days) on a ZMan(his side looked like that before I landed him). Pretty good 4 day trip and definitely the best snook fishing I have had in years so hopefully that's a good sign and not a fluke. Hope you guys get on the fish and post so I have some good reading in the cold Northeast.

Post subject: Re: 37 Acre Bay 2/26
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
Pro Member

Just renewed my Park Pass today, so I can take advantage of the Commercial Pine Is. launch this year. Great area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm 

Definitely one of my favorites. Did not however see any reds on my 2 excursions this visit but both I was hiding from the wind so didn't really fish my redfish areas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:34 am 

pipsisports, I don't think it is a fluke. Not sure what is going on but I have been catching more small snook and reds all year than I ever have before, and now the big ones are showing up! The back country is loaded with hungery fish and now that the bait is showing up, topwater is working again. I caught over 15 nice snook and a 24 inch red 2 days ago. The red put up one heck of a fight with me in my yak and all the snook were unusually aerobatic, doing multiple back flips out of the water! My neighbor landed a 35 inch snook (career best) from his yak this past Sunday in the same place! I hope this truly is a sign of even better things ahead, although I don't know how it could get much better!