Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reefs & Wrecks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm 

Headed to Estero again in April for a week. Bringing my Revo. I'm planning some bay and backwater fishing, but also thought about trying some of the FWC reefs and wrecks. For those wrecks within 5 miles of shore, they are only in 20' to 30' of water. Do these reefs/wrecks hold fish worth chasing in the spring?

Thanks,

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Reefs & Wrecks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 am 

What week? I too have been wanting to try that but it's best with a buddy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:30 am 

I'll be in Estero Apr 14th. Then leaving the following Friday. It's a school vacation week up North, not sure if it's same in FL. Thinking maybe that there's just a few less boaters checking out the reefs/wrecks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:28 am 

I never fished any wrecks on the West Coast, and for sure any within paddling distance are not likely to be in water over 30' deep and I can;t imagine they would not have several species of snappers and maybe a grouper hanging around.

But on the other hand here on the East side there are always more boats around any known structure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:31 pm 

jeff.sysa wrote:
I'll be in Estero Apr 14th. Then leaving the following Friday. It's a school vacation week up North, not sure if it's same in FL. Thinking maybe that there's just a few less boaters checking out the reefs/wrecks.

I happen to be off most of that week and was planning to go fishing one of the days in the early part. Shoot me an email at vansnake at gmail if you want to set something up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:23 pm 
Lifer

Several years ago, a bunch of forum members planned a trip to the May reef. The weekend it was planned for had terrible weather come in and trip was cancelled. I believe it's the closest reef to shore. We had planned to launch from Lover's Key ramp and exit thru Big Carlos Pass. It's a manmade reef in about 25 ft. of water. You might still catch the pelagics moving north. Good luck and post up report of your trip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:26 pm 

If you open the chart viewer on Navionics.com and find where Bonita beach rd turns north, there is a series of 4 man made reefs about 2 miles off shore and just a little south that I’ve been wondering about. They are labeled “rock reef” 1-4. You could easily launch from the barefoot beach preserve park to get there and it wouldn’t be too bad even for those with no pedals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:49 am 

Monkeyland wrote:
If you open the chart viewer on Navionics.com and find where Bonita beach rd turns north, there is a series of 4 man made reefs about 2 miles off shore and just a little south that I’ve been wondering about. They are labeled “rock reef” 1-4. You could easily launch from the barefoot beach preserve park to get there and it wouldn’t be too bad even for those with no pedals.

I've been looking at the FWC maps and GPS coordinates and saw those 4, plus another two right in that vicinity. Wasn't sure if launching from Wiggans would be closer. Here's the site I've been using: https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/artificial-reefs/ and then select the interactive map. As plans get more solid and weather windows get closer, I'll reach out about this trip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 am 

Hey all,

As I see it and knowing the plans I already have put in place, best day for me to explore some "reefs" would be Wednesday. I could probably escape for a morning adventure. Monday I'm fishing with my son and Tuesday I'm exploring Horseshoe Keys and the creeks on the east side of Estero Bay. Let me know if anybody is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:29 pm 

I’m in on Wednesday the 17th. My son is headed to the sitter that morning already.