Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OUCH X 3
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm 

I just read on our local news Fox4Now that FWC will make it illegal to harvest any snook, redfish or trout until at least May 31, 2020 in order to give these fisheries more time to recover from recent red tides.

I would not want to be an inshore charter captain right now.

Post subject: Re: OUCH X 3
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:32 am 

They have just extended the temporary closure they implemented earlier this year due to the red-tide.. they added Trout. You can still catch, photo, & release, just no posession. It's a move to allow the stock levels of these fish to recover. It seems like Snook are at an all time high in places like Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure it will affect charter captains, I would think most of their clients do not keep the fish when caught. If you really want to keep a few it appears fomr the maps that Choko is still open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot off the press! @myfwc has extended their fisheries management conservation measures in the areas impacted by red tide.

Effective May 11th, snook and red fish will be catch-and-release only for an additional year through May 31, 2020. Spotted seatrout will be catch-and-release only, including no commercial harvest through May 31, 2020.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm 

Personally this does not affect me at all as I tend not to keep those species. I think that there are better tasting fish inshore that have little to no game fish value like sheapshead, pompano, mangrove snappers. If it needs to be big and pull hard cobia are certainly an alternative.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:22 pm 

Thanks for all of you comments.

Just thought I would mention it as a few folks on this forum still keep an occasional trout for supper.

Y,all forgot to mention topsail catfish as a nice keeper

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am 

Let em go so they can grow!

I think most everybody (even charter captains) are in favor of this move. After speaking to some captains out of Goodland, Marco and Everglades City; I guess most wish they would have closed it down there as well, a noticable amount of boats/anglers have been out on the weekends down that way looking for that keeper.. I say let em go, keep some Mangrove Snapper and for sure always let the trout go.. there's a fraction of what used to be around, even out of EC, a very small number of trout compared to 8-10 years ago, once the grass died they all left..

Good luck! I think our snook and redfishing will get better in another year as long as we dont have another episode like last summer.. fingers crossed..

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:28 pm 

Rules and Laws mean nothing to many people...

Yesterday there was a post about a local Davie, to my area, who was caught/busted in the keys with Out of Season Lobster, Under size Lobster, and over the limit and out of slot on Cuda's.

FWC guy saw the guy walking from the water, by a bridge, to his car with a speargun and a cuda inhis hands... searched his car and found the rest... goon's just don;t care.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:05 am 

OK guys, I am going to weigh in just to keep things lively around here. I'm not sure a total ban for snook, trout and reds is such a good idea. I know this past winter has been weird fishing but I have caught more fish from my yak in the backcountry this year than ever before. I believe fishing has been good around Matlacha also. Not so good in PI Sound, I agree but I know that many guides have been hammering the snook. Small trout seem to have disappeared but there are a lot of big snook. Are they eating the trout? I was having 50 trout (mostly 14 inches) days back in December, January and February). Also, I am seeing a lot of snook with ripped lips from catch and release. Could that be a problem in the long run? My point is that this is a very complicated estuary and total catch and release may not be the best solution. Only time will tell! I have been noticing for a number of years now the sad state of our turtle grass in the Sound. Well yesterday, the grasses in the flats I was in looked great for a change and was teaming with big bait. Haven't seen that in awhile. Big bait has been scarce in Charlotte Harbor all year. Be sure, in the past, I almost always released my fish, just keeping one for dinner on occasion. Of course, I am releasing all now, just worried about how this will affect the fishery around here. My hope is for the better, but I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 pm 

Thanks for all of your opinions and comments on this subject.

I hope the one year closure of trout and redfish and the continued closure of snook helps these fisheries.

I will continue to bend the barbs down on all of my hooks including trebel hooks in the hope of minimizing injuries during unhooking. I am also doing this for freshwater bass and bream fishing.