Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:16 pm 

We were at the pier last night for the sunset and saw the biggest group of huge snook I've ever seen. There had to be at least 40 of them, tightly packed together, just idling. I would guess at least half of them were over the slot limit, and there had to be at least 10 or 15 that were simply enormous, not just long but wide as well. I assume these are breeders either spawning or getting ready to spawn.

Just passing that along. No idea if anyone is getting them to bite.

The other evening a guy at the pier caught a really big red, also.

Sorry, more of a fish report than a fishing report, but the big fish are there in case anyone's looking to target them.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 am 

EJ: thanks for the report.. good news as the big ones can be spawning females and that is good news for the future of our snook fishery around Pine Island

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am 

Slightly off-topic, but I was told that the shark population in Charlotte Harbor is up this year (it's either that or there are just good numbers of them hanging out in Charlotte Harbor lately). I'm not aware whether sharks feed on shrimp, but the shrimp are doing really well in the harbor this year; someone said they think that might be due to the reduced numbers of predators from the red tide last year. No idea on that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 pm 
Pro Member

Caught two larger black tips in PI sound, just off Pineland. First time in many years. Didn't target or cast to them, they just picked up my Zman paddlerz. Crazy fight for about 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 am 

I too, have been sighting more sharks this season, both in Matlacha Pass as well as in the Pineland area. They have mostly been in the three to four foot range.