Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:45 am 

One of my snow bird friends called me yesterday and asked if I had any experience with the braids that make up braided Power Pro unraveling? It seems that he had a super slick Power Pro line put on several months ago while down in the Cape and used it without incident; however, several months later, in fresh water, the braids seem to be separating while tying his knots. Has anyone had a similar experience with a braided line?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:35 am 

No issues like that in my exeriences. and I've benn using braids from various vendors for many years. The only one I have really ever had issue with was long ago I think it was a Berkly product that seemed to fray very easily, it was white and supposedly invisible in the water, spooled on a bait caster uesed in fresh water.

Over the years I have kind of settled on Suffix 832 or PowerPro braid on all my salty rigs, no longer use bait casters.. My decision on which Suffix or PP is which one has the pound test veriosn I'm looking for, some manufacturers don't make 15#, and/or which is on sale. I always look at the Suffix counter first though.
I have not tried the new new updated PP Slick.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:44 pm 

PP superslick has a coating that falls off over time which makes it basically turn into regular power pro. The integrity of the line is fine, but it loses its smoothness.