Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pineland: Hot Bite
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 pm 

Launched from Pineland at 6:30 this morning. I initially headed over to Black Key and around to back channel. Water extremely cloudy with lots of floating grass. Couldn't work south side of channel due to mangroves clogged up with grass. At west end, worked my way back along south wall of "no name island"; much less grass. Got a 30" red tight to mangroves. Continued around east and then north side of island with no action. Decided to work west wall of island where I got three more reds, each about 22" and one 20" snook. Also lost three other good fish. All the action was on a Houdini Paddler-z on a red weedless jig. Best action of the year so far.

Post subject: Re: Pineland: Hot Bite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 am 
Pro Member

Love that area John, glad you had a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm 

I fished Pineland some when I lived on Pine Island some 5+ years ago. My first trip there a couple in a tandem told me to try the "sandholes" directly out from the launch. I did, and they were great places to find trout. Just sizeable bare sandy spots in the turtle grass.

I wonder if the sandholes are still there?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:06 pm 

Hi: There are holes here and there but much of the turtle grass is gone. Recently, in the past few months, trout have been very few and far between. In the past, you could always count on trout to kill the skunk, but that is no longer true. I am hopeful, we will see a turnaround in the trout population next winter/spring.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 pm 

Went with my son who was visiting on May 14 to Tropical Point. Fished the incoming and outgoing tide for 6 hours and only caught one jack. Almost north to power lines then all the way south to Manatee Bay. I was hoping to at least find a few trout at the oyster bars etc but none. I did get a report from a pedal kayak guy who was launching about 6pm that he did well on big snook the night before.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 pm 

I was catching a lot of 14-15 inch trout, 17-20 inch snook and 13-15 inch reds this past December and January in Jug Creek. By February, they were all getting bigger but less plentiful. By April, a lot of big snook, and a few big trout and reds but no small ones! I fear that the big snook are eating the smaller trout due to lack of bait. What say you all? Now that the bait was showing up again, maybe we will see a return of a healthy trout population?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm 

Today, not such a hot bite. Same general area as this past Friday but only managed a small snook and an 18" red. Water remains pretty cloudy although there was somewhat less floating grass today. Very few kayakers out on the water considering it's Sunday.