Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm 

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and to kayak fishing. I have canoed all my life and decided to get a kayak. I currently live near Richmond, Va. but currently looking for a home on the lower side of Tampa Bay. I will be down off and on for short stays, but have a week at Christmas and will be staying in the Tampa area. Any tips on easy access to good fishing area, what to fish for and what baits will work best. I'm not a rookie to salt water, but I am a rookie to Florida.(most salt has been surf on the Outer Banks.)
Thanks in advance

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:58 pm 
Lifer

Welcome to the forum! We have a few members from the Tampa area but most active members are south of Tampa in the Charlotte, Lee and Collier counties. That said, browse the forum and search the archives, inshore saltwater kayak fishing in Florida is very similar regardless of the location. Another great source of info is Salt Strong. They are based out of Tampa and have a website and Facebook page. Tons of good info!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:06 pm 

Use the fishermans friend Google Earth and look up Apollo Beach area... there is a launch there, a marked paddle trail (not so mush for fishing but fun paddle) and miles and miles of mangroge lined shoreline, islands, and tidal creeks around that are prime fishing grounds.

Light Tackle, 3000/4000 series reels, spooled with 10-20# braid, 7' rod fast medium action...

Keep it simple, soft plastices with 1/16-1/4oz, or weightless, paddle tails or fluke like baits dark colors rootbeer/pumpkin colors, white will always cath more Snook. All along that area you can paddle it for days and hit different shoreline every trip... Fis to hunt are Reds, Trout, Snook.

To add to your bag of tricks a Johnson spoon is always good, top water Spook or MirroLure Dogs (MPO) choose which ever one you like to walk the dag with, sun-surface MirroDyne's green/black over silver, chartruse white yello... all on the same species.

check PM's

Last edited by krash on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

You will be fortunate if you can live on the south side of Tampa. I lived and worked for a year or more in 2004-2005 in Clearwater. Bought my first kayak from Craigslist and learned fishing the Bay area by trial and error.

Back then there was a website, paddle-fishing.com, very active membership etc but I believe they are no longer active. Too bad as they had a folder call "Destinations" specifically for kayak anglers. Ask around and you may find a current angler who made a screen shot copy of each site. Most importantly it told where to park and where to launch.

And, as krash says search Google. I came up with a site that listed 10 sites for kayakers to launch.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:39 am 
Lifer

Another place to check out is hckac.com. They are out of Tampa and host online tournaments. Several members here are also hckac members.