Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tropical Point - 8/29
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:54 pm 

Hadn't been over to Tropical Point since last winter and thought I'd try an alternative to Pineland. Launched about 7:30 AM with Joe, heading north toward Rock Creek. Got a late start due to getting stuck in the mud and having to be towed from the mud road leading to the power lines. This is not the time of year to venture down that dirt road. We worked several of the islands with dire results, a couple of small snook and a few lady fish. The water is very dark over there, probably from being so close to the Caloosahatchee.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:24 am 

Hey John, I was out exploring on my mountain bike and seen that they removed the logs across the dirt road. I road it back to the PL. Not sure if this is the dirt road your talking about. Is it legal to use that as an access? That would be a great option when Tropical gets busy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:06 pm 

As far as I know it is ok to use that road to reach the access point under the power lines. I used it multiple times last Winter and Spring. I have run into sunbathers and other kayakers there on occasion and once passed a utility worker in his work truck that didn't say a thing. It cuts about a mile off the paddle down to Rock Creek.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 pm 

I've been to the beginning of that road but wasn't going to try it with my minivan. How long a walk would it be if I parked at the top and wheeled the kayak in? I have scene some cars parked there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm 

I've put in there a few times.....only in the dry season. Some of those holes on that road are deep......Good spot to launch during the winter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 am 

From the end of the paved road that runs parallel to the sewage plant, there is a short but bumpy gravel road for about a quarter mile. You will see basically a "T-intersection" where the dirt road will be to the left. It is maybe a quarter of a mile long going through a heavily wooded area. It is heavily rutted, and as I found, extremely muddy this time of year. At the end of this dirt section, there is another bumpy graveled road. Go right and it will end under the power lines on Matlacha Pass. You can get a good view of this area using Bing Maps.