Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 am 

I put the kayak in at Kayak/canoe launch at park on Friday am and fished from the Sunseeker Resort pier and west. I tried for some trout at the deep hole at end of most eastern pier, but unable to find any. I did manage to get 8 small sailcats on my suspending twitch bait and 2 20-inch jacks up near the shore. Like usual, the school was there and then it was gone-poof! Lol! I worked my way up and down all the piers to the west and the up into the Oldham waterway. I trolled my paddletail all the way, along good looking mangrove shoreline all the way up until it dead-ended and back. It looked very fishy, but not one hit. I did manage to get 1 hardhead on the twitchbait and 3 large ladyfish on the paddletail on the way back. All and all, a pretty decent trip, but no trout. I'm on call this weekend and having to work, but made it out for 30 minutes from the dock both mornings. I didn't get anything yesterday, but did pick up 2 20 inch jacks this am.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm 

I was supposed to work at 0900 this am. I set my alarm for what I thought was 0700. It wasn't until I had showered and was on my way to work that I realized that I had set it for 0600 instead. I turned the truck around and headed to Bayshore pier to see if anything was biting. After all, I had an hour to kill-LOL! I fished my way out to the end of the pier using my silver suspending twitchbait-nothing! That quickly changed when I got out to the end. I caught 2 ladyfish that unhooked themselves before I could get them on the pier (you know how they can be)! Another fisherman came out that was putting out a balloon bait for shark. right after he came out, I hooked into a fish that sent my drag screaming. It was very fast and took off a bit of line. When it 1st jumped, I thought it was another ladyfish. when I got a bit closer, I realized it was a 21 plus inch Spanish mackeral! the next 30 minutes, I got in a small jack that the other fisherman was going to use for shark. I ended up with at least 20 bites/hooked 7-8 fish and got 2 on the pier. All this was in 1 hour! I had to leave to go to work with the fish still biting. It was a blast!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm 

I fished from shore with my son Thursday and Saturday ams until noon. Thursday, I managed to get 1 small blacktip, 2 small jacks, 8 teeny mangroves and a large stingray. Saturday, we went to 3 different places and only could get 1 hardhead, 1 small Mangrove and a ladyfish. My son hooked up his 1st snook, but it got off as he was bringing it up on the pier. He was pretty disappointed. This was at the pier at Ponce de Leon inlet. Right after he caught it, some moron in a boat put in at the ramp and proceeded to throw his cast net right in the area he had hooked the fish. Sunday am, found me back in the kayak at Bayshore. I finally found the trout! I fished with silver twitch bait around all the piers west of park and trolled a few canals with white paddletail. I ended up the day with 7 trout (13-17 inches), 5 ladyfish, 4 jacks and 1 nice mangrove. Today, I got out from 7-8:30. I only managed 1 fish, but what a fish it was! I was trolling by the piers on my way to the pier by Sunseeker and I got slammed! It ended up being a 24 inch Spanish Mackeral! I ended up losing that bait and my gold one of the same type to some other fish. I never even felt them. They just cut through my 15lb flouro like butter. There must be a whole school of those Spanish hanging around there. I will be back with 30lb and hope to get more. That big Spanish wax given to some workers who were working on the pieff that is closed. Hope others are finding the fish too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 am 

You need to be lucky to catch a Spanish on any size mono! Steel leader is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:53 am 

If you much prefer mono leader, you can buy a nice product. I t is wire core mono leader and works great for Spanish mackerel.

Thanks for your newsy reports.

I will keep chasing juvenile tarpon from shore in the saltwater canals south of Burnt Store Marina. Not very predictable with the present tides but they are there somewhere along with schools of smoking size mullet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I will have to try and find some if I keep fishing for them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 pm 

I was on the water by 0700 on Thursdayl. I fished the twitch bait at the pier ends and a mangrove cove. I then switched to trolling the canals west of park with the paddletails. I was fortunate to talk to a fellow member, Mike, at the main pier. It was very nice to meet you and I will pm you sometime to fish together. This weekend is not looking good though, with the storm and all. I ended up with 5 trout, a mangrove, a jack and 2 snook (1 was 25 inches). Those were the 1st snook I have caught in the Port Charlotte canals. Hope y`all are catching some fish!