Southwest Florida Kayak Angler's Association

It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Peace River snook
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm 

Im back in the yak after my broken leg. I thought I posted this earlier, but I dont see it. Im so glad to be able to get back out. I still have to wear a garbage bag on my boot, but at least getting out. This am, I went out on Peace River to try for bass. I did get 2 small bass, but it was snook that stole the show. I was fishing a plastic worm and got hit. I missed it, but threw immediately back in. It had just hit water when fish smashed it. At 1st I thought was a huge bass. It then jumped and it turned out to be a 30 inch snook-on a plastic worm! I switched to 1/8 oz beetlespin. I ended up with a 22 inch snook on that. I was fishing my way back to the launch when it happened. My beetlespin was absolutely smashed and my line was pouring off the reel. It was taking out line like a bull red. It finally breached the water. This snook was massive! I was able to fight it until it was 4-5 feet from the yak. This fish was at least 42 inches, maybe even 45 inches. It finally straightened the cheap beetle spin hook. I was disappointed, but stoked. I will be back with appropriate tackle.
)

Post subject: Re: Peace River snook
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:09 am 

Dave: Sounds like a great day. Sometimes it's the ones that get away that make the best memories!

Where do you put in on the Peace?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:00 pm 

Liverpool Park on the Peace River looks nice on Goggle Maps but it may be a bit far upstream for saltwater?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:43 pm 

Glad to hear your back on the water. What a great day. I once caught a 33" Muskie on a 1/16th oz spinner(not quite a 45" snook but funny how those big fish will eat small lures).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am 

I put in at Deep Creek park. It is a ramp right next door to the Nav-gat-tor restaurant. All those snook were actually in the part of river known as Lettuce lake. It is not the most quiet area, as there are 2 airboat tours from the restaurant, but very pretty nonetheless.